What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Pin Fit Problem

Nihon_Ni

Well Known Member
I ran into a problem this morning while working on building the release assembly for the inflight adjustable rudder pedals. I'm having a hard time figuring out how a 5/32" wide roll pin (MS 16562-30) will fit into a 3/32" hole in the lock pin (F-8103E). I get that it needs to be compressed by inserting it into the hole in the lock pin, but I can't figure out how to get it started into the hole. Can someone give me a tip on how to get the roll pin inserted?

Thanks,
Rob

photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks to me like you have two roll pins that have nested together. Separate and they will work just fine. :)

Looks to me like you have two roll pins that have nested together. Separate and they will work just fine. :)

Hmmm. My pin looks like the one on the drawing, but it would seem to make sense that maybe there's two of these buggers locked together, which is why I'm having such a tough time fitting it into the small hole. Each part measures about 3/32" so that could make sense if a "single" pin has enough strength for the application.

Can anyone compare my roll pin to theirs -- do I have conjoined twins?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Rob

Definitely locked together

Yes there are definitely two pins which have been pushed together (picture adjusted in Lightroom to see the individual lockpins)....a hammer and solid edge (vise) will fix the problem.

Rob, since I'm not on the fuse yet, I can't confirm with the specific RV part, but I can tell you with certainty that your photo does look like two roll pins stuck together. This is what a roll pin should look like: a simple circular cross section, with a slit down one side of the pin to allow for it to compress a bit.

58026_1000.jpg

Hmmm. ....

Each part measures about 3/32" so that could make sense if a "single" pin has enough strength for the application.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Rob

You can almost see the "co-joining" on your original pic.

Measure your pins in two directions at 90 degrees to each other.

I bet one measurement will be much larger than 3/32.

I downloaded the MS-16562 specification and for the -30 roll pin, the nominal diameter is .094.

The actual unloaded diameter is .099 to .103.

The spec says the recommended hole diameter is .094 to .097.

This suggests that if your pin is 5/32, that you've got a -44 pin (if its length is 1.00 inches), which has a nominal diameter of .156, and an unloaded diameter of .152 to .167. Its recommended hole diameter is a bit hard to read, but appears to be .156 to .160.

Dave

New to you.

I can tell the idea of a roll-pin is new to you. This type of pin has been used for generations now. They come in many sizes and lengths. The idea is to have a hole drilled just under-sized to the pin so when you drive it in the spring of the pin body will hold it in the hole. If you wish to see a single pin in many sizes, go down to your ACE, or auto store and look in their roll-pin assortment ben. These things get used in all types of gear. I have seen and used them 8-10 inches around in crane pintal cable pins. Bottom line is using them one at a time works best.. Happy holidays. R.E.A. III #80888

Thanks for all the assistance. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think to look up the specs for the roll pin. The two of them were so perfectly intertwined they looked like they belonged together. I got back into the shop this morning and was able to separate them with a punch and a few taps from a hammer. I used the vise to insert the roll pin into the lock pin and I'm back to making progress!

Back