What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Todd's canopy/Vans skirt dimension question

BonitaRV8

I have mounted my Todd's canopy with Sikaflex and I'm very happy with the results, my next RV8 canopy will be perfect! Working on the Vans skirts. Several modifications to the skirts will be required so a lot of fiberglass work. I would like to transition of aft portion of the skirts to the fuselage as clean as possible but to have the skirts tangent to the canopy would make them extend about a foot byond the canopy. I know the skirt would hit the vertical stab if I was to make them that long. Could someone measure the distance from the passenger seat/bulkhead to the end of their skirt along with how much clearance they have between the skirt and the vertical stab fairing with the canopy open? Thanks,
Scott

I'm too far from the hangar to give you measurements, but you may want to consider taking the inside canopy handle into your decision.

As designed, the canopy handle will impact the rear seatback bulkhead if it is in the closed position when the canopy rolls back.

To avoid this I put about a 3" piece of rubber hose inside the canopy channels at the back. With the standard Van's canopy and skirt this also just gives me comfortable rolled back clearance between the skirt and the vertical fin.

IF you decide to do something similar, you could back calculate the other dimension you need...

Please post some pictures when you're finished, sounds neat...

Back