What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B

At the considerable risk of igniting a firestorm, may I suggest that some pilots have interpreted FAR 91.215(c) "Transponder-On Operation" to require that if an aircraft is equipped with an operable/compliant transponder then the transponder must be "ON" when the aircraft is operating in "All controlled airspace". Following this interpretation, a pilot cannot legally turn "OFF" an operable transponder in-flight at will "in all controlled airspace"? Controlled airspace includes "Class E".

All opinions are welcome! FAA prosecutorial findings included. :D

Last edited:
At the considerable risk of igniting a firestorm, may I suggest that some pilots have interpreted FAR 91.215(c) "Transponder-On Operation" to require that if an aircraft is equipped with an operable/compliant transponder then the transponder must be "ON" when the aircraft is operating in "All controlled airspace". Following this interpretation, a pilot cannot legally turn "OFF" an operable transponder in-flight at will "in all controlled airspace"? Controlled airspace includes "Class E".

All opinions are welcome! FAA prosecutorial findings included. :D

FAR 91.215 (c) "While in the airspace as specified in paragraph (b) OR IN ALL CONTROLLED AIRSPACE, each person...."

Yes, you have to run it except in class G. And if you have mode C you have to run that, too.

Last edited:
Dynonsupport,

BillC,
Unfortunately, the anonymous mode is only for UAT's, and not Mode-S transponders. To use this feature you need to equip with a Mode-C transponder AND a UAT as your ADS-B solution, not the much less expensive Mode-S with ES option.

Yes, I was assuming the UAT's option since it would currently be cheaper to go this route (existing Mode-C transponder + Freeflight or Garmin GDL84 ~$3500) than to have to buy a new Mode-S transponder (Trig ~$2500) plus a COMPLIANT GPS receiver (~$3200). This may all change in the near future but, for aircraft like mine with perfectly good Mode-C transponders, it's cheaper to go the UAT's route. And I don't intend on going over 18,000 ft or flying outside the U.S.
I was just point out that there is a way of being compliant with the 2020 ADS-B mandate and still fly with some autonomy.

Tom,
Before Jan 1, 2020 (which is still 5 years away) you will need to install a new GPS receiver if you want to fly in ADS-B rule airspaces (Class B, Class C, above 10,000' MSL). If you stay out of those areas, what you have is fine.

The GPS needs to be certified, which the SV-GPS-250 that came with your 12 is not. Right now, modules exist, but are fairly expensive ($2,500+). We all expect there will be more affordable options in the next few years. However, if you want to get compliant today, we can help you do so, assuming your LSA is an E-LSA, not an S-LSA.

Realize you are not in a unique position. There are 150,000 GA aircraft in the USA that need to be compliant by 2020 and only a couple thousand are so far. You're far ahead since you have a fully TSO'd Mode-S transponder already so you just need a GPS, while almost all GA planes need a lot more work to meet the mandate.

Thanks for the clarification..
Hope to chat with you about this later this week at Sebring.

Tom

I installed the Freeflight system. Part of the data stream I had to program is the ICAO code for my aircraft. I don't know if that is because my unit is TSO'd, but it's a UAT and sends out my code like mode S transceiver would although on 978 MHz not 1090 MHz.

First, it's only allowed when squawking 1200. So you do have to have the IACO code in there for any time you are not VFR. Fully anonymous even when under ATC control is not supported. Anonymous is allowed in TSO'd installs.

Beyond that, it may be that your UAT doesn't support it. Anonymous mode is optional for a UAT, so a vendor doesn't have to implement it. You'd need to ask Freeflight if they support it and if so, how to engage it.

Back