What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Transponder and ADSB

Flybuddy2

Well Known Member
I have an ADSB in (Skyradar), however to get consistent (detailed) traffic you need ADSB out.
I've got a Skyview also and have been considering their transponder modules. According to Dynon, either module will work to activate FAA traffic as long as the Skyview has a GPS module. The higher powered $2200 xpnder meets the current output required for all phases of flight with the 2020 adsb mandate. The lower powered module is apparently adsb capable in Europe below 18K and 175 knots and is about $1700. (may not meet US future requirement though) Both will work for me to get traffic and I can sell my KT76C and encoder to recover some.
Looking for opinions:
* should I leave well enough alone and wait out new stuff coming to market.
* should I get higher powered unit to meet 2020 mandate (although I would still need an IFR WAAS GPS to fully meet mandate)
* should I get lower powered unit to get traffic now

* should I get higher powered unit to meet 2020 mandate (although I would still need an IFR WAAS GPS to fully meet mandate)
* should I get lower powered unit to get traffic now

I've been flying with the lower powered unit for about a year. It works great. TIS Traffic on my 495 is fantastic.

As far as buying something now to meet 2020 regs. Fugeddaboutit. Lots of things will change in the next 8 years!

Last edited:
Mel is getting likely getting TIS traffic right through the transponder, not likely ADSB traffic...

but, as he said - buying anything right now thinking you'll be 100% compliant in 2020 is probably a bit dubious. Fact is there WILL be a lot more options in the coming months that will likely provide more alternatives.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I just posted a new topic that would relate to you, Ft Myers now has ADS-B available with free traffic and weather :D

Navworx and FreeFlight offer current solutions using the UAT.

I just posted a new topic that would relate to you, Ft Myers now has ADS-B available with free traffic and weather :D

Navworx and FreeFlight offer current solutions using the UAT.

Thx---I've been receiving the free weather part for several months now and it's pretty good. I've got a neighbor with the navworx setup (adsb transceiver) with a levil display and the traffic display is excellent.

As far as buying something now to meet 2020 regs. Fugeddaboutit. Lots of things will change in the next 8 years!

I'm a believer in ADSB, but I'm still trying to figure out what year I'm in...:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The FAA is putting a lot their efforts into ADS-B. And many companies are coming out with products for ads-b. So it looks like a good bet for the future.

Since it's a digital link with future data possibilities, more things can happen with it down the road. Like receiving IFR clearances? That would be nice!

my .5 cents.
Chris.

The current situation is clear. The higher powered device is required to be legal and meet the ADS-B out mandate. If you want to use a transponder to meet ADS-B out in the USA, you should buy the higher powered one. If you have another ADS-B out device like a UAT, the lower powered one will be legal in one of the slower RV's.

This is a regulation issue, not a technical one. Both transponders put out the same data, but the higher power can be heard farther away. The ADS-B stations and other planes have no idea which power transponder you have.

It's "only" $400 more, and it guarantees compliance. The transponder is software upgradable, so most other changes to the requirements can be dealt with. Not sure why a device released in a few months would be more compatible in 2020 than something released last year if the assumption is that future requirements are currently unknown.

Since you already have a SkyView, and you have to have a transponder, this is really the cheapest way to get ADS-B compliant. Remember that your ADS-B out needs to be TSO'd, so it's unlikely you're going to suddenly see legal $1,000 ADS-B out devices.

As a quick FYI, ADS-B out is only required to get TRAFFIC over ADS-B today, not weather. Weather works even if you don't have ADS-B out onboard.

Just a FYI followup. The Dynon transponder module will NOT work to get traffic via the single band Skyradar device as the transponder does not have the latest (260B) compliant software. Back in August Dynon said this was coming soon but they now say it may be quite a while as it's done by an outside vendor and must be TSO'd. This has been one of the downsides of Skyview as they are slow in facilitating meaningful upgrades in a timely manner.
So, for me, I've got a nice KT76C that I'm glad I didn't remove from the plane.
Like many pilots I'm not overly concerned in meeting 2020 ADSB mandates. If it's going to be excessively expensive to fly in a class B, etc, I'll just limit my flying at that point. I think it's unconscionable that the FAA is withholding a potentially life saving feature, like in cockpit traffic, as "incentive" for us to purchase ADSB out equipment that may very well go the way of MLS and other failed FAA initiatives.

Last edited:
Flybuddy, look around for ANY 260B transponders out there. You won't find any. It's just not a feature very many people need right now, so it hasn't been at the top of our list, nor any other vendors. Releasing the 8 well tested, meaningless updates over the last two years (like having a transponder at all, the first of the experimental EFIS systems to do so, and with a device that can be upgraded by the user, in the plane, for free) has been at the top of our list ;)

Heck, Garmin with the 330 isn't even saying if it can be upgraded at all to DO-260B, much less for free. We're doing or best. Get all your friends to call us and bug us and we'll move it up the feature list. It requires coordination with the FAA, EASA, and other people, and we can't just release it like we do other software.

It's still on the list, still being worked on and hopefully close.

The quote below was from last August on the Dynon
Support forum.

Dynon's transponder carries USA and European certifications.

Certification:
ETSO 2C112b, C166a and TSO C112c, C166a, approved for IFR and VFR flight

Compliance:
ED-73B, ED-14F/DO-160F, DO-178B, DO-254 level C, DO-260A class BO, DO-181C

We will have a software update here shortly that moves it to DO-260B, the latest revision of the ADS-B standard.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Dynon and have installed quite a few of your products in various aircraft I've owned as well as friends. Skyview is an exceptional device and a real value. It's just that I was disappointed in this as I had gotten quite a bit of conflicting info.

Last edited:
Back