What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning solution recommendation requested

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
As I'm now about halfway through Phase I, the plane is starting to look pretty cruddy, what with the protective coating of dead bugs and all. What do you guys who still have bare aluminum use for cleaning?

2012-07-08_20-02-16_79.jpg

Water and a rag work fine.

However, I have moved up to the Extreme Simple Green. Do NOT use regular Simple Green as it doesn't play nice with aluminum.

The only down side is it leaves a light film on the aircraft.

I bought a gallon jug a few years ago and still have a bunch left. You don't use it full strength, so you end up using very little. My plane gets a quick cleaning after each flight, which helps keep the task simple.

Also, get some plexi cleaner for the canopy, do not use Windex or a similar product.

A friend recently recommended using GoJo without the grit on the belly. Does anyone out there in VAF land have any experience with using GoJo?
(Note, we don't need opinions as even I have an opinion on using GoJo. We need experience.)

Mineral spirits for the belly.
I use McGuires detail touch up for the wing bugs.
I use plexus for the canopy. Lots of opinions here. I have seen pledge used for Wing and canopy as well.

Distilled water works great for bugs and general wipedown.

I use GOOP (less stinky GoJo) for the belly. Wipe it on and smear it around and then spritz it with water and it wipes right off with those blue shop towels.

I took a chapter from Mich Lock (Vans Aircraft Est Coast rep). He needs his plane to look clean at every fly-in, and event he attends. All he uses is a spray bottle (just tap water) and a rag.

I spray all the surfaces and then go back and wipe them down. If there is a particularly sticky bug, I spray again and wait a moment or two.

The only downside to this is the rag will disgust you after every use. Small price to pay for a purdy airplane.

I agree that water is often the best solution for fresh bugs - especially if you have an unpainted plane, and intend to paint. No need to get any sort of wax or silicone residue in the pores.

On our painted planes, we use Wash-Wax-All to keep things clean, and part of the system is a flesh-colored scotchbrite-like pad that does a great job of removing bugs, but won't scratch paint. I used that along with water to get bugs of Tsam before she got her paint - worked great!

I guess being in the Jan/San business pays off for me. One of the
"green" cleaning chemicals concentrates I sell works extremely well at melting bug guts along with light oily grime on the belly and is perfectly safe on aluminum and painted surfaces. It makes wiping down my wings a very quick chore after flying. Other than this product that is not available retail I find that Spray Nine has a product called AV8 which works great and is reasonably priced. It can be found at places like Aircraft Spruce. For those of you looking for something to clean greasy bellies especially from smoke oils, try Carbon X (Sporty's). A 20:1 mix works well for light grease and then using it straight poured onto a cloth will take the smoke oil stain out of the paint especially if your belly is painted white.

Good luck using just water. A good quality microfiber cloth especially on the canopy works wonders.

A friend recently recommended using GoJo without the grit on the belly. Does anyone out there in VAF land have any experience with using GoJo?
(Note, we don't need opinions as even I have an opinion on using GoJo. We need experience.)

I have used GOJO to clean the exhaust shields on a T-28. The shields on the 28 are notorious for being very difficult to clean. The exhaust flame just bakes everything on the shields and if you don't do it after every flight it gets even more difficult. The 28 community is always on the lookout for something to clean the shields without spending 30 minutes on each rubbing like mad and does not harm aluminum. GoJo works ok, not great but not bad. What does work is parts washer solvent. It will clean the oily exhaust stained mess in no time. Then follow up with wax to remove the film left by the solvent. Done.

Mothers

I like Mothers brand Instant Detailer for spray on wipe off when the plane is in relatively good conditon.

It wipes off nice and doesnt smear realy bad.

If the plane gets dirty I just wash with normal soap and water.

Have been using Armor All brand multi purpose cleaner for the bellys of the -4 for 700hr with no problems and have used it 1-2 times so far on the -10 spray on wipe grease/oil off.

I wipe the bugs off the leading edges at the end of each flying day, using just water and a microfibre cloth. The bugs come off very easily if you get them before they have cured for a few days.

As I'm now about halfway through Phase I, the plane is starting to look pretty cruddy, what with the protective coating of dead bugs and all. What do you guys who still have bare aluminum use for cleaning?

I Bob,

Yesterday, my naked -7A, complete with many dried bug guts and smears, got its first real wipe down in a long time. Like others have mentioned, I used a couple gallons of plain water but I did add a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap. Using an old soaked bath towel, I just laid it over the particularly bad areas for a couple of minutes while I attended other areas. After a couple of minutes, the bugs came off with little effort. After drying, I was left with a lot of water stains. I followed up with a clean soft rag with some mineral spirits and it shined up very nicely.

Dryer Sheets

For the cooked on tough to remove bugs...

This sounds odd... But it works like a dream. After trying every bug remover on my Harley with no luck I finally got this tip from a helicopter pilot who uses dryer sheets (bounce, downy) to remove bugs from top of his chopper.

Just take a dryer sheet, get it damp and work the bugs off.

In my experience, teenagers are best for cleaning, especially bug guts. :D

Now that's funny!! When Bob asked me this same question a week or two ago, my first respnse was "a couple of 12 year olds, a bucket of water, some rags and $20"!

In all seriousness, I've tried almost everything on the market. When I had a pure white airplane and flew off a VERY buggy grass strip, we often would "test" new products against plain old water...put the new miracle cleaner of the day on one leading edge and water on the other. 99.9% of the time there was and is no noticeable difference - I maintain that plain ole water works about as well as anything else.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I have only used plain water or plane water:) and a microfiber cloth on my plane. I always spray a light coat of pledge on the leading edges and buff. The next time the bugs almost wash themselves off.

Cleaning wings

I use distilled water and it doesn?t leave residue or water marks. I like the idea of some pledge on the leading edge thanks

I use distilled water and it doesn?t leave residue or water marks. I like the idea of some pledge on the leading edge thanks

I just did this... water and an auto 'bug sponge' did a great job, both on the bare aluminum and white epoxy primer painted glass parts.

However in the AZ dryness - it's 8% RH outside this moment - I did get some streaking on the aluminum. A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol fixed that and left a nice even surface.

For the cooked on tough to remove bugs...

This sounds odd... But it works like a dream. After trying every bug remover on my Harley with no luck I finally got this tip from a helicopter pilot who uses dryer sheets (bounce, downy) to remove bugs from top of his chopper.

Just take a dryer sheet, get it damp and work the bugs off.

I use dryer sheets here Central Bugville (on my autos). Doesn't seem dull the paint or scratch the headlight lenses.

Back