What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Roll Call!

DakotaHawk

Well Known Member
I've really enjoyed reading up on the APRS technology, and will have APRS installed in my -7 when it's ready to fly. While reading the various posts, I've seen many people listing their APRS callsign, but those callsigns are buried in various threads and links. Maybe it would be nice to get a list of callsigns and names in one central location (here) for those of us who are willing to let others watch us fly via the internet.

So, if you're using APRS, respond with your APRS callsign and home airport! Give us the callsign that will show up on www.googleaprs.com or www.aprs.fi .

Last edited:
In a Cessna 150 for now

Building a 9A. APRS is currently in a Cessna 150. But hey, at least Im flying :) Check N3216V.
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

In my signature Track. Flying today to BBQ at Stephenville 1500Z, then to Bridgeport and who knows where for fuel and instrument training after food.

Micro-Trak AIO

I'm using a Byonics Micro-Trak AIO for APRS tracking until my RV-10 gets built. The link to my track is in my sig below. If the icon is a plane, it's probably in N6359C out of TRI; if the icon is a train (my 5 year old son's a huge train fan), it's probably in my car. :)

-- Chris

N14SE

Just finishing up my RV-7A. Should, maybe, could be flying around the end of next month. Will have APRS on-board for most of my 40 hours phase 1. You will be able to follow my progress on-line.

APRS: N14SE
Call (General Class): KC9NJC

N211LV

That is,. if I can get it on the air and the plane IN the air,.. still working on both... but believe them to be in the near future.
Based out of KPQL (Pascagoula,.. aka Trent Lott International) or now,...

KI6GII-1 - home airport KSQL

Or see my sig - I fly acro a few times a week, always have good APRS coverage.

N16BL is AIRWORTHY!

Thanks to my DAR, Vern Darley, my RV-9A is airworthy as of 4/18/09. She will have her first flight shortly after Sun-n-Fun... and tracking (N16BL).

I host an i-Gate in North Georgia (KJ4ILJ)

N291MT

Trailing right behind Bret, N291MT is airworthy as of today - hope to be sending APRS packets any day now around the Anoka-Blaine (ANE) airport.

N847X

N847X is the AIO version detuned to about 3 watts in my temporary airplane. Rubber ducky antenna laying sideways in a wing tip.

APRS

N161RL as call sign. KD3B RV-8 in the text. Usually on when I fly.

Last edited:
N8ZUV

Cessna 172M / N5455H

Based out of HAI, Three Rivers, MI

Kenwood THD7A/G

Monitor PC WinAPRS 2.7.7/ KPC-3+

Mike Miller / N8ZUV

73s

N519RV - RV10

I just passed by Technician Class today!

I can be tracked at http://aprs.fi/?call=N519RV&mt=m&z=11&timerange=10800

I'm currently using Yaesu VX-8R handheld with External RAMI VT-14, this latest track was using the 1W power setting on the handheld. I'm going to fly tomorrow using the lowest power setting of 50mW, just to see what the coverage is like on the same route I flew today at 1W.

I'm also working on a board design of my own for APRS, which has the transceiver module.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
N519RV - RV10
525 Hrs

http://aprs.fi/?call=AF6QO-9

Show last=7days should do it.

Presently still using rubber duck antenna.
Mounting vertical on the belly is the next job.

John, rubber duckies are notoriously poor performers compared to 1/4 and 5/8 wave antennae. I can't tell from your post if you are planning on putting the ducky on the belly of the plane or some other type of antenna. I think you will get much better tracking with one of Pete Howell's J-poles or a 1/4 whip and will most likely have much better tracking close to the ground.

John, rubber duckies are notoriously poor performers compared to 1/4 and 5/8 wave antennae. I can't tell from your post if you are planning on putting the ducky on the belly of the plane or some other type of antenna. I think you will get much better tracking with one of Pete Howell's J-poles or a 1/4 whip and will most likely have much better tracking close to the ground.

Sorry I was not clear. I plan a 1/4 wave whip on the belly. I all ready have a Comant aero antenna that I will shorten slightly (it is cut for 108-136 comm freq so slightly shorter will work fine for 2m). I bought it years ago to add another comm antenna to my former plane, but never got it installed. I got the coax the other day and now just have to scrounge around the house for some crimp-on connectors and my crimper.

Thanks Sam. Glad you mentioned it, as my post was not clear. I've got to realize this is an RV group, not an EE group.

You can track me and my RV-7 as N426KF. I followed Sam Buchanon for years as he built his RV.

My home base is Plattsmouth (KPMV) , south of Omaha a bit.
Kevin Faris
2007 RV-7
KI0PY (Extra Class) for a while now...

KJ4RZN-9, RV-6, Vero Beach, FL

I use my N number, N44PH, as my call sign.
Ham license KJ4RZN.
Tracker: MT-8000FA
Byonics GPS2
Comant CI-122SP LORAN antenna shortened by 3.5" on the belly.
Putting together a digipeater out at the hangar.

N18PF - RV-7A, Davenport Iowa

N18PF
MT-8000FA with GPS2
Antenna is a 19.5" piece of 0.041 safety wire that runs up the front of the tip-up canopy.

Been tracking for almost 2 months!

APRS Call: N600SS (pri profile); Race43 (sec profile, for SARL races)
HAM Call: KF7GWS
MT-8000FA / GPS-2
CI-122SP on belly or Howell J-pole in gear leg fairing (switchable)

Fun stuff!

Cheers,
Bob

Too nice of a day to not fly, so I went over to Livermore CA (from Reno) today and passed the Technician test (35/35!) and have a MT-RTG waiting for when I get my call sign. Hope to be up and running soon!

greg

Received my call sign and MicroTrack RTG yesterday. Very easy to program and set up!

KD0KYU based at Lake Elmo, MN (21D).

RE:I am in BUT......

Getting the MT-RTG slowly installed. Sam B type antenna.

Call Sign N74BZ and the FCC call sign is KF7ISP........

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying soon to be tracken!!!!!

I've lurked on this thread long enough! I'm still testing on the ground, but as soon as painting is complete, I'll have the Byonics MT-RTG in the RV-8.

Call sign is N123L license is KD0KZK. Secondary will be N51BL KD0KZK )

I fly regularly between northern AZ and Buena Vista, Colorado. I'm hoping that coverage will be good since I usually fly at over 14,000 MSL (Lots of mountains over 14,000 around our airport- KAEJ ) Our field elevation is 8,000 ft.

Roger Bloomfield
RV-8 with MGL Odyssey in painting stage

WooHoo! Finally got listed in the FCC database. KF7JAB. Byonics RTG to be shipped and installed soon. Meanwhile, I've been using/testing the iBCNU on the iPhone. Not as good as the regular radio, but not bad for a $1.99 app.

greg

Ron, It'll be the Mooney for a while....

Ron, It will be at least fall before first flight. Never painted an airplane before, so there will be a long learning curve. I'm using the Kirker paint system that Rocket-Bob likes. Also painting in pieces, so there will be quite a bit of re-assembly.

Are you on APRS?

Roger

I fly regularly between northern AZ and Buena Vista, Colorado. I'm hoping that coverage will be good since I usually fly at over 14,000 MSL (Lots of mountains over 14,000 around our airport- KAEJ ) Our field elevation is 8,000 ft.

Roger Bloomfield
RV-8 with MGL Odyssey in painting stage

Roger, welcome, and it'll be neat to see how the tracker works up in the Arkansas River Valley. So you're a Byoonie, eh? I used to fly some air ambulance and charter work up to Salida, and Buena Vista is a beautiful place! Found out the locals call it Byoona Vista, not Bwena Vista. (Byoona and Byoonie both having just two syllables). Neat little local custom from a very picturesque place! And yes, lots of 14'ers there!

Cheers,
Bob

An update. Finally got the cracked baffles fixed and the RTG installed temporarily today, so I'm up and running! Going to try out the J-pole in the wingtip next week if I can find time.

cheers,
greg

Back