What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

preview plans ordered RV-7

ColbyS

Well this is my first step towards my build. Ordered the preview plans for the rv7 today. The journey has already began though. So much planning, garage to set up, etc, etc.

So, once I do order the empennage, are the plans that come with it really that bad or out of wack? I have read where the plans forget stuff or you really cant tell what order stuff goes in. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. If not, I have you guys! haha

See you guys around!

The empennage plans are good. They provide a lot of detail and information at first. You just check the boxes off as you go from step to step. It's pretty easy, really. Later sub-kits are less detailed, assuming that you already know the basics that need to be done along the way. Be sure to read chapter 5 in your manual and learn all you can about the methods used, and why they're important.

Also, I didn't attend one myself, but you can go to a workshop where you learn the basic skills and get a lot of practice. Good luck, and have fun! :)

I recall buying my preview plans several years ago and I was still on the fence. I am now working on the wings. I am going very, very slowly, but I enjoy the process. Don't get in a rush and enjoy your build.

The plans are very good in my opinion and I haven't had any problems of things not being included. It does happen (I would say it is rare), nothing is perfect, but Vans is great to work with when it does.

By the way, Bruce has a website (and many others) that I use for a reference when I get stumped or need motivation. Good luck.

Last edited:
BSwayze, I spent many hours last night reading through your detailed log of your build, I'm truly impressed. I really can't wait to get my feet wet.. Yet I can't just get my feet wet.. I'm gonna sink at first!

Right now I'm trying to decide on how I should go about getting the necessary tools to start out with. Not sure if I should go with one of the rivet kits or piece it out. I know I'll only be able to have a compressor no bigger than 20 gallons. And I will be working out of a one car garage. A buddy at work said he'll be more than happy to meet me at the local Home Depot/lowes so I can do some shopping for lumber to build my work bench.. Which that also leads me to what size of bench would be adequate? So many questions.. **** Noob!

This is what I built...

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/worktabl.htm

I built two tables. One of them I doubled the length of the table.

BSwayze, I spent many hours last night reading through your detailed log of your build, I'm truly impressed. I really can't wait to get my feet wet.. Yet I can't just get my feet wet.. I'm gonna sink at first!

Right now I'm trying to decide on how I should go about getting the necessary tools to start out with. Not sure if I should go with one of the rivet kits or piece it out. I know I'll only be able to have a compressor no bigger than 20 gallons. And I will be working out of a one car garage. A buddy at work said he'll be more than happy to meet me at the local Home Depot/lowes so I can do some shopping for lumber to build my work bench.. Which that also leads me to what size of bench would be adequate? So many questions.. **** Noob!

Which that also leads me to what size of bench would be adequate?

I was fortunate that the guy I bought my kit from (empennage done. wings partially done) also needed to get a very well built 3' x 8' work bench out of his way. It's been priceless. I have not needed something bigger so far, but if I were in a 1-car garage I'd probably want it a little shorter. Or build two that you can put together when you need a long one.

So many questions.. **** Noob!
Yeah, been there, still doing that. :)

EAA tables

Here's my list...
The kits come with full size 24"x 36" plans. They are very complete. I took two poster frames and place two plans facing out with clear on both sides. The manual is also very good.b
Always use the VAF search before building a part. Learn from the experts here first.
O+1 on the EAA benches. I really like them because
end to end, they make one 10' bench. Side by side, they work great for big things.
However, I made a few mods.
I used 1/2" ply for the bottom shelf so it would hold more weight. I took the leftovers and build another similar bench for all my electric tools. The shelf under it serves as storage for the bending brakes, cleco containers and wood blocks.
Aside from the standard tool set, here are a few extras.
I highly recommend a tungsten bucking bar and a pneumatic squeezer with a few yokes.
A 4x4 piece if melamine or particle board is very useful. I cut it into two 2x4 pieces and use it often to cleco stiffeners to skins for assembly.
A 6' piece of 2" aluminum angle is very useful.
A 3/4" x 6' piece of galvanized pipe is useful for shaping leading edges.
I use bicycle hooks and 1-1/2" webbing strap to hang completed components.Gorilla tape is great for all sorts of things.
Book tape makes great rivet tape.
Maroon scotch brite pads. Lots of them.
Roloc pads for a grinder are handy.
6"x 1" scotch brite wheel on a grinder is used daily.
Good drill bits. Extra #40 and #30.
At least two countersink cages. One for #40. One for #30.
Harbor Fright mini electronic scale.
Rolls of blue shop paper towels.
Nitrile gloves.
Shop vacuum.

Last edited:
Alright. I just got home, sat down to eat some food and I hear the front door open and then the door bell.. It was like a little kid jumping up and out of his couch and running to the door to open it. Low and behold! A package!
My preview plans.
I opened her up and starting reading through it. Lots of good info. Thanks Van's for the fast shipping! (3 days, over 2K miles)

Alright so the Instructions, it says to edge this part, rivet here.. then cleco this.. so on and so on. The question is, when I receive the Empennage, Does the kit come with instructions like so? Or do I refer back to the Preview Plan Book for which step to do first?

I am overwhelmed already! hahah I'm sure I'll do fine. Just got to try and plan every step. What do they say here? Plan two steps ahead? Lets put this in house construction terms. I don't want to build the 2x4 wall framing, put the insulation in and then drywall it before I run the electrical.
These preview plans do make me motivated, hope it's not short lived.

The waiver & release of liability form in the plans. I must fill that out and send it in with my first order? Or can I go ahead and order the Empennage?

So many questions.. yet again Thanks ahead of time!

Alright so the Instructions, it says to edge this part, rivet here.. then cleco this.. so on and so on. The question is, when I receive the Empennage, Does the kit come with instructions like so? Or do I refer back to the Preview Plan Book for which step to do first? ...

Colby,

Each individual kit will come with a set of full size plans sheets for that kit, plus the latest version of the manual chapter for that kit, which may or may not be the same version as what you received in the preview plans.

You'll find the empennage chapter to be very detailed, the wings chapter a bit less so, and the fuselage chapter somewhat better than "refer to the plans and build it".;) Fortunately the less detailed fuselage manual is accompanied by plans that contain quite a bit more detail and notes that the previous kits.

Welcome to the adventure!

The kit will come with full size plans, but not instructions. That big gray binder will be your best friend for quite a while. One more reason I like the 8' long work bench -- room for plans. I am tempted to build a rolling cart for the plans, binder and storage bins for all the rivets and small parts, but I don't really have the floor space to spare.

The instructions start out very detailed, and get less so as you go on. I'm working on flaps & ailerons now; I spend more time with plans and less with the instructions but still use both of them a lot. I have learned the hard way -- never assume anything until you've read the instructions MORE than once, AND completely understand the plans for the section/step you're working on.

welcome

Ooops. I forgot to say welcome.
Welcome to VAF Colby.
I'm no expert, but I am building a 7 as well and almost done with tail feathers.
Feel free to send a message or e-mail
Build on!
Larry

Colby, thank you for the kind words about my website. I'm very pleased that it has been meaningful and helpful to you. I will second the advice given by others, to build one of those EAA standard worktables. You will only need one of them for your empennage, and since you're in a small workspace, I'd hold off on building another one until, and unless, you actually need it. I've built my whole airframe with one, actually. I did have some counterspace in my shop, though. I built a second one half-size, though, and put wheelbarrow handles on it and some wheels, so I can wheel it around like a wheelbarrow. This has proven to be very handy and valuable.

As far as tools are concerned, others here have been very helpful. You can just buy a kit, or get them piecemeal as you need them. It depends on whether or not money is an issue. I scrounged and saved by buying my stuff piecemeal. I found a number of quality used items on eBay for very good prices. You don't need all the tools for the whole aircraft all at once. If you're like most of us, you'll be picking up another tool now and then throughout the project. Get just get enough to get started. Your 20-gallon compressor is just fine, by the way. The most important thing is to GET STARTED. There's no way you can learn it all before you begin. It's a learn-as-you-go kind of thing, and there's only so much preparation you can do. Just jump in! You'll be fine. :)

Back