What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 canopy jettison handle on the ground

zmatt

Well Known Member
I am doing some avionics work and the canopy jettison handle is blocking removing one of the radios. Can I pull it and easily reset the handle? And if so does it require two people to steady the canopy? Thanks!

I would routinely remove my canopy using the jettison handle. 2 person job to be safe, 1 inside the cockpit and another to pass to someone outside. Installation is the reverse, be careful to get hinge pins aligned properly and not scratch upper deck.

Last edited:
I've removed mine twice using the handle. Both times it went back into place just as easily as when it was removed. I expected to have to jiggle it around a bit to get it to align, but it "just worked". I second the suggestion of having two people on hand for the job. Ideally three, one on either side to help guide it on and off, and then carry it back over the aft fuselage so you can get out of the cockpit and help one of them carry it away from the airplane.

Jettison handle

For my education, what is a jettison handle other than the obvious.
No mention of it in my 7 plans.
I have heard of release pins in the two slider rollers.

Its the handle that goes on the instrument panel that when pulled will release the two forward hinge pins on the tip-up canopy. It's definitely in your plans.

Its the handle that goes on the instrument panel that when pulled will release the two forward hinge pins on the tip-up canopy. It's definitely in your plans.
Unless you have a sliding canopy. Only for tip up. Yes obvious but may have some new folks.

This if from Vans factory 14, but you'll get the idea (candy striped handle in the middle upper panel). Stole the photo from a Rob Hickman post on here.
18222052626_da4fde9f83_h.jpg

I recently had the opportunity to view an award winning RV7, tip up, that had No
canopy jettison handle installed.
As I see it, unless you are wearing a parachute and need to leave the plane while in flight, what good is the handle? I don't own or ever wear a parachute.
In order to remove the canopy, the mechanism can be easily actuated from behind the panel when the canopy is in the open position. Am I missing something???
I am presently finishing up a Tip Up build, and do not plan to install the release handle. That frees up some valuable panel Realestate.
Dick

I recently had the opportunity to view an award winning RV7, tip up, that had No
canopy jettison handle installed.
As I see it, unless you are wearing a parachute and need to leave the plane while in flight, what good is the handle? I don't own or ever wear a parachute.
In order to remove the canopy, the mechanism can be easily actuated from behind the panel when the canopy is in the open position. Am I missing something???
I am presently finishing up a Tip Up build, and do not plan to install the release handle. That frees up some valuable panel Realestate.
Dick

Think of it as not a "Canopy Jettison" but a "Canopy Release" handle. Just another way to get out of the airplane during a ground egress if your tri-gear flips on its back during an off-field landing.

Unless you're having an emergency, what good is any safety equipment?

The 7 plans set shows both canopy configurations. Or used to.

Unless you're having an emergency, what good is any safety equipment? The 7 plans set shows both canopy configurations. Or used to.

Does anyone have a discription or picture for slider jettison. I know there is a user modification, but did not know Van's aircraft has it in the plans for sliders.... I searched the forum and there are many threads, details I found, parts, pictures (if not per plans). If some one has reference to plans, please give sheet number.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a discription or picture for slider jettison. I know there is a user modification, but did not know Van's aircraft has it in the plans for sliders.... I searched the forum and there are many threads, details I found, parts, pictures (if not per plans). If some one has reference to plans, please give sheet number.

Not aware of the current factory plans, but back in the day, it was a non factory mod. Put quick release, push-button pins in the forward canopy bow/roller attachment point. Pull both pins and give the canopy a push. Theory is, the canopy will depart very soon thereafter.

Back