What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Servo installation

mjanduda

Well Known Member
Hi,

I want to equip my 14 with yaw, roll and pitch servos (GSA 28). I'm going to install G3X panels.
Which servo mounts do you recommend?
Can I get everything I need from van's?

Thanks a lot!
Malte

Guten tag Malte,

I suggest you download plans sections 56 and 58 from Vans website. Those sections cover the roll/pitch/yaw servo install. Vans sells the additional hardware to connect the servos to the flight controls. The tailcone and wing kits provide the mounting points. Once you have reviewed the plans you can contact Vans and they can tell you what parts you need.

If you are using the factory wiring harnesses or sourcing from Steinair then most of the work will already be done for you...based on my own experience. Hope this helps

Tchuss! James

Just a tip about the wiring harness:

The one provided by Vans work... but is in my view somewhere between 3 and 6 feet to short towards the panel.

I suggest contacting Steinair who makes the ones for Vans and tell them that you would like the Vans RV-14 harness but with additional length towards the panel.

Which harness, specifically, are you saying is too short? The WH-000125 main wiring harness? I've installed mine and it fits perfectly. Not sure what I'd do with 3-6' (!) of extra length.

Yes, the main harness.

I would have loved to run the wires up the center and following the sides all the way to the LRUs and other devices.

Either my harness is shorter than what others have received or you are happy with a more direct routing than what I would have preferred.

Did you order the harness from Stein? My Stein-supplied harness ends in four connectors (two per side) which will mate up with matching connector halves coming from the panel.

If I were building the panel side of the harness myself, I'd want more length in the main harness, too. Since I sourced my panel from Stein, there's plenty of length to permit all of the connectors to join up.

Magnus,

I think the difference is that Stein provides an avionics harness that attaches to the forward end of the common fuselage harness. The avionics harness, which they custom-make for your specific application, has the additional length for routing behind the panel to all the various equipment.

My common fuselage harness was long enough to come up behind the sub panel and not much more. The avionics harness had plenty of extra length. If someone is using an avionics source other then Stein that would be an issue to address with them.

I shipped my fuselage harness to Stein so they could add connectors to the forward end and verify everything worked with the avionics harness. If I could do it over again I would have just gotten the fuselage harness direct from Stein and saved on the extra shipping costs.

I'm planning to buy the Van's harness and do all the avionics installation myself. Do you then see a problem with the Van's harness?

Malte

Absolutely not. It?s just different solutions for different people. I chose to have the avionics wiring done by a very experienced person versus doing it myself. I figure I saved several (at least) months that way. My point was that regardless of which way you go, I think you will need additional wiring from the fuselage harness to all your avionics.

Also, Steinair makes the fuselage harness for Vans. They can provide you with specific information regarding your plans. Good luck!!

Back