What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel hoses...

kbalch

Well Known Member
Am I correct in assuming that one of the fuel hoses included with my new Lycoming is extraneous and won't be used?

This is the long hose delivered zip-tied to the servo to fuel spider hose and apparently meant to run between the fuel pump and the servo. In my case, I have the Aircraft Specialty FWF hose kit and received two shorter hoses for the pump to servo run with the red cube fuel flow transducer meant to sit between them.

Or have I got that entirely wrong? :rolleyes:

Also, how is the red cube meant to be secured?

It depends on if you specifically bought the spider to servo fuel line. I am not sure it comes in the standard Aircraft Specialty hose kit. I think it might now, but I had to order special. I think that you only need to change if you are putting in the FM-150. But I am not 100% on that. Steve from AS will be able to tell you.

Page 43-09 for securing the red cube. they connect to the air in-takes with the high temp Adel clamps.

We typically dont include the flow divider hose in our FWF packages, because they are genereally supplied by the engine builder, and with different servos, sumps, and flow divider installs, there really isnt a 1 size fits all solution. AND, the engine builder arent going to supply the different hoses for the flow transducer install---for the same reasons as above.

The RV14 FWF package that Vans did for the prototype aircraft DID have the transducer plumbed, and our package mimics that. IF someone wanted it in a different location, we can certainly work with them to do that.

Tom

We typically dont include the flow divider hose in our FWF packages, because they are genereally supplied by the engine builder, and with different servos, sumps, and flow divider installs, there really isnt a 1 size fits all solution. AND, the engine builder arent going to supply the different hoses for the flow transducer install---for the same reasons as above.

The RV14 FWF package that Vans did for the prototype aircraft DID have the transducer plumbed, and our package mimics that. IF someone wanted it in a different location, we can certainly work with them to do that.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I completely understand regarding the flow divider hose, though that wasn't the hose I was questioning in my original (evidently poorly worded) post. When I received my engine from Lycoming, there was an additional long hose zip-tied in place which was apparently meant to run directly from the fuel pump to the servo with no provision for a flow transducer. I was merely seeking confirmation that this particular hose isn't used in my stock -14A configuration and can be set aside.

At this point, I'm convinced that I had it right and, having identified all of the AS fuel hoses, am pressing on. :)

It depends on if you specifically bought the spider to servo fuel line. I am not sure it comes in the standard Aircraft Specialty hose kit. I think it might now, but I had to order special. I think that you only need to change if you are putting in the FM-150. But I am not 100% on that. Steve from AS will be able to tell you.

Page 43-09 for securing the red cube. they connect to the air in-takes with the high temp Adel clamps.

That is correct. The servo to spider line is not included standard in our fwf kits because that hose is provided as part of the engine package. The fm150 servo to spider hose that is being provided with the thunderbolt engines is a bit too long. It fits but has a pretty good bend in it. We offer a shorter hose as an optional component for the fm150 servo engines.

The hose mentioned by Ken sounds like it is an extraneous hose that won?t be used. Our kit follows the standard vans layout with adjustments made for specific configurations.

Happy building
Steve

Ken---about 26 inches, straight and 90*?

If so yes a servo hose without the flow transducer install, depending on the servo model.

Tom

Back