What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 and RV-8 common parts

alcladrv

Well Known Member
My understanding of the development of RVs is that when the 7,8 & 9 were introduced, the 8 came first, followed by the 9 and then the 7, which was a combination of the 9 fuselage and the 8 wings and empennage. Of course, each plane has its unique parts, but if my developmental timeline is correct, what are the wing and empennage parts common to both the 7 and 8?

The original prepunched RV8/8A wing uses a different spar. Around 2001, Vans redesigned the main spar for use on the new RV7. They also started putting it on the new, matched hole kit RV8s. This was done to increase parts commonality. From that point on, the wings are virtually identical. Vans originally put RV8 rudders on the 7, but later switched to the bigger RV9 rudder.

Charlie

My understanding of the development of RVs is that when the 7,8 & 9 were introduced, the 8 came first, followed by the 9 and then the 7, which was a combination of the 9 fuselage and the 8 wings and empennage. Of course, each plane has its unique parts, but if my developmental timeline is correct, what are the wing and empennage parts common to both the 7 and 8?

The 7 came out before the 9. The 9 wings are unique, not common to the other models. Different airfoil. Later on, they started using the larger 9 tail on the 7.

I do believe that the rv 9a flew almost 2 years before the 7. Not in numerical order
Jackz

The 7 came out before the 9. The 9 wings are unique, not common to the other models. Different airfoil. Later on, they started using the larger 9 tail on the 7.

The prototype 9A first flew at the end of 1997. Kit production started the next year. The 7 didn't arrive till 2001

Is that correct?

Wikipieda lists the -9 as being flown first on June 15, 2000.

And the RV-7 replacing the RV-6 in 2001.

it is my understanding that the first -9A was a modified -6A.

However, I would imagine that the -7 was developed and then modified into the -9 but not made public until Van's drew down the -6/A inventory.

The sequence has never really been clear to me.

H/S

The RV7 has a wider fuselage than the RV8. The Horizontal stab has a wider space for the RV7. Those H/S parts are different.

Tips?

Can anyone comment on which wing tips are interchangeable?
Mainly looking at the seven and eight wingtips since I have the bat wingtips and I am looking to get the bigger landing /strobe light lens from a buddy who went with Zip tips . His are standard 2012 vintage

Mainly looking at the seven and eight wingtips since I have the bat wingtips and I am looking to get the bigger landing /strobe light lens from a buddy who went with Zip tips . His are standard 2012 vintage

RV-4, -6, -7, and -8 have interchangeable wingtips.

You want the W-715-1 wing tips. These are similar to the "bat wing" tips. However, they do not flare out at the rear and they have a bigger cut out for the lights. Be sure to order the lens kit, as the wing tips do not come with the lens. FYI, one lens kit makes 1 pair of lens.

Charlie

parts lists

The parts index (section 4 in preview plans) will give you information about common parts. There are lots of 7xx numbers in my RV-8 kit, and even some 4xx and 6xx parts.

Last edited:
Back