What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mistake drilling Flap Tube Horns

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Installing flap tube in section 40 of fuse build. After drilling horns, rechecked the angle using the Flap Horn Jig. Well, evidently, something shifted while drilling. #&*@#%*

I'm 3/32" off in my angle on one side only. (see gap in pic)

v9wPckXzW9Ye0AsOxp02nKE2nXfLhUDogO4GzzYm5sB_XrnraVNhBAUYChfvS5IIPy3_qvus8C4h4S4x9BgvbVawgl0f1sWMDFJDidOTpZSX8fSIPDypFZ7RPjl79pCdY79rhOhX7NU8kJ60d89i7omW0Wheost_JblJoDtaSXJkfra7dfd4EawFf841nqOzpTtsoDAzM_pPHXTzXVRzoOuoqgZun4UzUisJl9p6_Mds4qk0rGLrIxJM5K5bCvfxzbOz2jnr-7FkXlsFe75Z_mnmLEVhWqoW03aZcJ5kEBz8Gtb4tLvXuuHmHUQa-DtRtx0_C9wxCSlMCYMuMhGABRMnvJ1Q8ZVu_CTIsoYuPWOP6RKO-QY8qW_68zFWdCDek3Sq2IlYlX6abYnKTjA0ge4G4sOSqpf3XVzTOrpWEwR6JecPi0RGnNonOv8Qsd2uuwq4UY0f9kn8A8I98BXSBY3kUgoImgALemUHT0EZbzPw2l7rcD7YbIglUYNhIquIxmtJfTgDgjL5RT3rg9rN1Pq2j-aWFECqv4_h910gMYPW1pvffv8MXlwQrdZq7tZLI56J_1oAWvzUBU39wRx7haOYvQm4RsUkgeo6od7LPEr5u8dQAMerGIeF-UqAbjWk9vQ0n7hKH6HazsD1I905HYXAkEdmVnUHjzCMzNP-zVbljnXA3RK0CWhlmA=w585-h780-no

Questions:
1. Is there a way to adjust later during flap installation?
2. Is there an easy way to fix now without having to buy a new horn?
3. Can I simply re-drill new holes 90 degrees offset from factory holes (see X in pics) with horns set to right angle? I know this will leave two open holes in tubes, but not being an engineer, it seems there's still plenty of metal to be structurally sound. I could also use MetalSet structural epoxy to fill holes. Thoughts???

I have sent Van's tech support this question, but hoping there is a quicker answer available from someone on the forum.

xN2b_Bo3oNPjkIz5JCZDL_hWepUMqN-0VPq7YGZ9CVx4W1w3i73y2z4yFe_62A0CBunRgED8VV6bNPwr7jXVIf8dsXN59S2N_mvTQZ75BJAtEnJJZmPyA_FXDbPP3wqHyV0CUgGz5CJn5UhHmDxjmv_MTCuzb8W87JfqoSkNNYT81o9rO80bi9xcfp_W1JLZ1naIw_Ha6WTIW89JcXhes0KC94Qn0EajITXlpMG8OSbmsWXNjTG3OKdvuUfFsrceNyGxoqXTvKO2BW_xvrt5oxioRCbvdM_xqn4Bi77lye83OGIAvrCYbHLMu51lQM-v-ijWRFPKX-ShZwj3kHKX9eGKFzy3ggbID_rLJGbZMX3G1CS22GJMrkwOxM2l1MfVy6YEMgVOZT7CLkXlHFgI3YQXDockXlReam7p58pdNrq8QPQHgI0koZzSUl0v2667v7TzQdLAZPx6-W1Ejrq_y43i6GHxF8_xs6Dr65S-_rA-9oNf6PXvSGMkli4tW6XbvFXzctVbFWXutVB0A8wWcihqouOP529TBe_CAYTM0ll5OVjKqTdctE2gjA60tYKDTRm-NIP8GvcJK5OpYvhvavYm-uHqBYPAYMKBK79TReLYlkUVCg_0YPY1JT-HlAFv0TU2vGdfuoZmGfLHAu5jtp0mvvUScbVeVftd6clcbDiuz7wY0bPqYVV90Q=w585-h780-no

Not a 10 guy, but . .

Check your drawings, my 7 flaps have a connecting rod with threaded heim joints on each end. You should be fine.

BTW, dont even think about using epoxy to fill a bad hole in 4130 steel. Erase that from your future options.

I suspect the HEM bearing adjustment will solve the issue, might want to call Vans. I suspect one could also weld shut the holes and redrill.
Marty

I haven't had the wings on yet to confirm, but I can't imagine that this can't be dealt with by the adjustable connecting rod. Your primary concern is that the radial position on the arc sets the amount of push rod travel for a given movement of the main tube, so if the radial angles are significantly different, side to side, you could get different flap travel, side to side, which could cause rigging issues with the flaps deployed. Yours does not seem substantial enough to make a significant difference, but I am not an engineer and can't do these calcs in my head.

I would try to compare the error to the other side. All you care about is the difference in the radial angle between the two sides.

I would not be overly concerned drilling new holes 90* from the current holes (where you have the X's). I don't think this would weaken the structure enough for the load it is carrying in that application. However, that should be confirmed with Van's.

Larry

Last edited:
BTW, dont even think about using epoxy to fill a bad hole in 4130 steel. Erase that from your future options.

Thanks for responding Bill. I'm really going to show my ignorance publicly here, but why is filling a hole with a "JB Weld" type epoxy bad in 4130? I assume structural integrity may be compromised (regardless of type of metal), are there other reasons unique to 4130?

I will certainly follow your advice, but curious to learn the reasons behind the advice.

I can't imagine that this can't be dealt with by the adjustable connecting rod. Larry

Thank you all for the responses. I FINALLY found the page regarding the flap adjustment rod. I'm now very comfortable I can build on. This rod will give me more than enough adjustment for the very slight offset created when I drill out the holes.

JB weld

It will fill the hole but does nothing for the structure of the tube; no point in filling the hole then...

Back