- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Forum Peruser

Lunch at F49, Slaton, Tx.

And it looks like the Cards have successfully entered Alabama airspace and have landed at Hortonville, aka Whoville!

Buono's arrived in Alabama yesterday and are now near Cedar Key, FL.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!

Last edited by rv7boy : 04-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default Day 1: Landed safely at Pecan Plantation (0TX1), TX

Hello to our 'RV family of Friends;

It's been a long but very nice day #1 of what I'm calling our 'Grand Adventure' since it's a trip we've not ever done before nor will ever do again! I can't put into words how excited we are that our trip is finally started and that we can fly with some of our closest friends: FRIENDS WE HAVE BECAUSE OF OUR RV!

We were awake at 0400 PDT with the plane packed the night before. Here's our cargo area full-o-stuff and Tuppergal ready to go:

We missed our 0500 departure time by 10 minutes due having to take a moment to take this picture for my (our) buddy Turbo! As you can see, the direct route from Rosamond (L00) to Providenciales (MBPV in the Turks & Caicos) is just over 2800nm...

Sunrise was a little over an hour after takeoff as we were crossing the Colorado River:

Here's Lake Havasu in the early morning light (looking south):

There is not a lot to see flying across the desert but for those who have never flown across the middle of Arizona and New Mexico, these pictures are for you…and what you don’t see is a picture of my hand blocking out the sun:

We made St. Johns (SJN), 437nm in ~2:40 at ~170 knots (I was hoping for more of a tailwind but did not see it):

These next two pictures are to show you what you see on XM weather and what you see out the window:

Once past Albuquerque, New Mexico is FLAT!

Last edited by Rosie : 09-18-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default Day 1: Landed safely at Pecan Plantation (0TX1), TX

I had to take this picture to show you the late 1990's panel we are still flying with (and which works perfectly fine for the flying we do :-)

The flight from St. John took us east until we got around the corner of the restricted area then we 'turned the corner' southeast bound to Slaton Municipal (F49) for fuel, 390nm in ~2.5 hours:

One more leg to go (~1.5 hours) to get to the Hard 8 BBQ in Stephenville! I'd been waiting two years to get back there and eat REAL BBQ!

We climbed out to 9.5K, settled in at an easy 160 knot cruise....I'll be having BBQ soon....I call Forth Worth Center for flight following, life is good.

Here's another shot of the XM weather screen and 'out the window':

I failed to mention that for breakfast, we each had a powerbar and then had a couple of the 100 calorie snack bags to munch on....I was READY for a good meal at the Hard 8 BBQ, ~190nm away. I'm watching the gauges and thinking about what I was going order out of that big, roll-up smoker they have....

Getting closer...10 minutes out on the 'downline' at 180 knots indicated...the BBQ is calling my name....I swear I could smell the 'smokers'... and then...Fort Worth Center calls (I'm less than 10 minutes out):

"8PV...I just got a call that a plane has 'fouled' the runway. The Stephenville airport is closed".

"Can you call them and ask how long it might be? I'm trying to get over to the Hard 8 for a late lunch."

"Sure, let me call them back...........8PV, no answer at the airport".

I'm thought to myself, "Two years I've been planning this trip with a stop at the Hard 8 and I can't land!?!"

Ok, quick, zoom out...what airport is nearby, cursor over...ah! 9FD is nearby...

"Fort Worth, 8PV now landing 9FD"....silence...no reply...then...

"8PV, my system does not show 9FD"....

Hurry, cursor over 9FD, press enter, read "Dublin Muni"...

"8PV landing Dublin Muni"...

"8PV...that's 9F...0"

"Fort Worth, 8PV can't read when hungry. Dublin in sight."

"8PV, squawk 1200, frequency change approved"

Here's the screen shot where we 'dog-legged' slightly to the right of course to get to Dublin. So close yet so far:

We landed at Dublin and taxied to the ramp...this airport is barren, weeds coming up through the cracks of the runway and taxiway. Tuppergal keeps reading her Kindle (she loves to read)

I found the Hard 8 BBQ phone number in the Garmin 496 AOPA database page (thank you very much AOPA!). I dial the number.

"Hi, can I talk to a manager...no, nothing was wrong with the food...yes, I'll wait....Emily? Hi, I'm calling from Dublin airport. I'm flying from California and have been flying for about 7 hours. I can't land at Stephenville because the airport just closed to clear a plane off the runway. I've been waiting two years to get back here and eat at the Hard 8 BBQ. Is there ANY CHANCE you can send someone to come get me? PLEASE?...Oh yes, I can wait 20 minutes, thank you!" SCORE!!!!!!

A young man, Barrett Joiner shows up in a nice, big pickup, very friendly guy, 100% Texan. We pile in (forgot to bring the camera darn it) and we arrive to the Hard 8 in minutes. We get in line, the cook opens the smoker..."I'll have some of that, that, that, that, one of those, and a couple of Chicken Poppers".

Once inside, a small tub of Blackberry Cobbler, a coke and the free beans....I'm a REAL HAPPY GUY now! We enjoy the Angels-Texas game, finish up and Victoria then 'rolls me to the truck', I'm stuffed (and did I say I was happy). Barrett drives us back, and I ask him for the name of the Manager because I want to write a letter to thank 'his' boss for this...then Barrett says, "I'm the General Manager." Whoa, 29 years old and he's 'the man'! Thank you Barrett for taking time to ensure these Californians did not miss out on the great BBQ you have at the Hard 8!

We departed Dublin and landed Pecan Plantation (0TX1) around 1730 local time, maybe a 15 minute flight. We are staying with longtime friends Don & Shirley Saint at their beautiful skypark home. While out for a walk, we saw Claudia & Martin Sutter who are leaving with Tom & Bonnie Lewis in the morning for Sun 'n Fun. Their 2-ship will now be a 3-ship departure, ~0700 CDT.

We plan to fly to Daytona Beach (Spruce Creek Airpark) to visit/lunch with a longtime teacher-friend Barbara Rodriguez and then depart for Clearwater to overnight with my former Lockheed co-worker, Honeywell 'Navboy' Bob Coughlin and wife Vicki.

Here are the Day 1 flying stats: ~1015nm in 6:40...nice ride, no bumps...just wish I could have had more of a tailwind!

Thanks SO MUCH for following along and keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited by Rosie : 09-18-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Rosie, I'm glad you finally got off on your trip.the rv is the only way to go.

I can see by your numbers that when you get to your destination you're odometer will be the same as mine was last week.

These are good numbers when you're flying an rv6.

From Rosie: Turbo, what's the trick to hacking a Garmin to beef up the numbers?
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player

Last edited by Rosie : 04-06-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 PM

Default Be safe and have a great trip

Sherri and I are bummed to be sitting this trip out, but as it turns out we would have had to cancel at the last minute regardless. Her mom had to have unexpected spinal surgery 4 days ago with 10 1/2 hours in the OR. Not a chance Sherri would have left her.

Heads up Rosie and Chris... I was at my hangar yesterday changing the tires on my plane when I saw the BH (Big Hammer) in one of the drawers in my tool box. Before we left Grand Exuma in 2011 Chris Kleen asked me to carry it home because he was severely weight restricted. I hope you have accounted for the BH sitting this trip out.

So keep checking in, and we'll be following along here with interest as well as a tad bit of envy. Everybody be safe and have a fantastic trip. Can't wait for some of the pictures to start coming in.

Best,
Bryan and Sherri

From Rosie: We sure miss you Brian & Sherri....and Jimmyb & Vicki...and Siesmo & Red...and Scott & Deb! And I am bringing the BH this trip

Last edited by Rosie : 04-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 PM

Default Moody Blue will launch Sunday morning

Moody Blue (Gene and Janet) will be launching out of Atlantic, IA, stopping for fuel in Kennet, MO and Headland, AL (this could change) and RON at Ft Myers, FL on Sunday. Looks like about 7 1/2 hours flight time.
Might meet up with John and Dani there. We just need to know when to meet at Marathon for lunch on Monday before heading up the Keys to Homestead.
c/p 515-321-2280
www.GetBusyLivingNow.Net
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Forum Peruser

Paul,
great write-up, excellent photos, and wonderful adventure! . Thanks for sharing it with us.
Have fun!
P.S. I don't know what the VAF record is for most viewed thread, but this one is already over 3,900 and the main part of the trip hasn't even begun yet.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!

Last edited by rv7boy : 04-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:48 AM

Default Hard 8

Hard 8 is in my book!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM

What happens if you don't put the big n numbers on the aircraft?

From Rosie: You could be fined by Customs....I don't want to 'test' them!

Last edited by Rosie : 05-11-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM

How are you handling the luggage/bags issue? Just travelling light, or shipping some stuff in/out?

From Rosie: We had about 20 lbs between our legs between the battery box and fuel selector, steel stakes along the floor rails at our feet, and the BH stuffed in the gear leg weldment. I have all my dive gear, clothes and tools in back. My clothes weighed 10 lbs but with the computer and other 'stuff', the bag came in at 28 lbs.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by Rosie : 04-07-2013 at 10:38 PM.