- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Default Beef Island

15 Years ago when I tried to depart Beef Island, they wouldn't let me on the ramp to go to my plane without a ticket. I tried to explain that I was the pilot and I wanted to depart. They wouldn't let me go onto the ramp. A local pilot overheard this exchange and pulled me aside and handed me a white pilot shirt complete with shoulder bars to put on. Then I was allowed to go onto the ramp since I now looked like a pilot. This whole process too was on island time about 2 hours.

Gary Specketer

From Rosie: MUCH EASIER now Gary!!!! We came and went with ease, no problem. We just walked up to the departure gate with our Pilot's License sticking out of our passport, handed it to the agent, they looked at it and gave it back me (after telling them my wife was with me). Then you dump your articles in the plastic tray and walk through metal detector. Once past the metal detector, we asked somebody to open the locked-door to the ramp which they did, and we had FREE access to the ramp. I'm sure the people inside the terminal were wondering who we were to be getting such 'special' treatment. Also, to facilitate your (non-pilot) passenger not having to pay any departure taxes, (builders) take along your REPAIRMAN Certificate and place it in your passenger's passport: NOBODY ever pulled it out to take a look at the name on it

Last edited by Rosie : 05-29-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added note about repairman's certificate
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).
Default Day 13: Touring Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

Hi to our RV Family of Friends!

Today was a day-off from flying, and we all took a tour of old town Santo Domingo. Our tour guide arrived at 0900 that began with a walking tour, driving tour, more walking, more driving and finishing with a final walking tour.

Here are a bunch of picture of what we saw, and there is no way I can remember what everything was!

The remains of Christopher Columbus are buried here:

Tres Ojos National Park:

Jailbird, Indira, Keys, Tuppergal and Me:

Last edited by Rosie : 05-19-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Location: I live in on the Rosamond Skypark (CA) and am married to Victoria (Tuppergal).

Our Tour Guide Rudy who spoke fluent Spanish, English, Italian and German!

The Capitol Building:

I do remember Rudy saying this is where Robert DeNiro and Angelina Jolie filmed a scene from "The Good Shepherd".

Last edited by Rosie : 05-19-2013 at 02:13 AM.

That's Christopher Columbus on the left:

Keys found some new friends!

The original gateway to the city:

The dinner menu:

We are planning to leave the hotel at 0800 on Friday (April 19) for the airport with wheels-up planned for 1100. The flight is expected to be 2.5 hours to Curaçao where Jailbird & Indira will stay two nights. Keys/I/Tuppergal will continue on for the 65nm flight to Bonaire, and we have setup two days of diving with Buddy-Dive as recommended by Jimmyb.

Keep an eye on our SPOT TRACK if you need to goof off at work!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Update on Friday at 0630 local: The satellite pictures are looking good so we are a GO for the overwater flight today. Will check in later today from Bonaire.

Last edited by Rosie : 05-29-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Wow! What an epic journey. I am truly inspired now. I didn't get to see the huge smiles on my face when I was looking at all of your pics but I'm sure teeth were showing. Thanks a lot for posting all of these. Lot's of fun to look at.

PS: You see what happens when you don't check the VAF website for a month?

~J~

From Rosie: ~J~, you are the reason I LOVE to share our passion of flying our RV! Thank you for the kind words
Collecting/fabricating required tools
Tool Box Project under const.
=VAF= Supporter April 2015

Last edited by Rosie : 04-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 PM

Default Day 14: Santo Domingo to Curaçao to Bonaire!!!

I need to say a late 'good evening' to our RV Family of Friends! We've had QUITE the LONG DAY today, and it started with our normal wakeup call...actually somebody's car alarm going off at 0600-0630...quite annoying, but hey....no problem! Getting up early makes for a nice LONG day!

Jailbird, Indira, Keys, Tuppergal and I met for breakfast at 0715 on the outside terrace (4th floor) of the Hotel Europa in old Town Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic). Our taxi arrived at 0810, and we were at the airport just before 0900. Check out the blue skies in this picture....

Using a screenshot (on our camera) of Jim Parker's instuctions, we were able to navigate the airport and found the General Aviation office at the far west end of the terminal building, second floor. That's where we filled out our flight plans with some minor corrections per the young ladies in the office.

Once complete, the office manager was very kind and walked us to the weather office where a really 'spry' gentleman, with excitement in his voice, gave us a complete WX briefing. He said it would be blue skies all the way to Curaçao, but from the Satellite picture we saw, we knew we'd have to do some cloud dodging (if you zoom into the SPOT Track, you can see where we did a little bit of zig and zag)

Once the WX briefing was complete, we walked out of the office to find 'Jose' who brought us from the FBO located at the far southern end of the runway ACROSS from the main terminal building. There was no way we could walk across a ramp full of Boeing aircraft so Jose drove us over. His timing was by chance so he walked us to the metal detector then to Immigration. One simple form and were out-of-there!

A short walk to exit the building where the 'workers' work (not where passengers exit the building) and we piled into Jose's van. Once back to the planes, we got them off the grass and onto the pavement....when those blue skies started looking not so blue...we got the planes packed and the fueling truck started with Jailbird's plane, then Keys then me...

...and then it began to rain! Blue skies to rain is less than an hour...welcome to life in the islands. We waited it out, maybe 15 or 20 minutes, and then jumped in the planes, and taxied out with Jailbird leading.

Once at the runup, we really took our time and made sure the planes were ready... you ready Keys?

Only 376nm of open water to Curaçao!

Looking South: Here's the ramp where we parked, to the right of the two twins. The FBO trailers are there too:

By the way, the tower cleared us on to the runway maybe 30 seconds apart. Keys/I caught up to Jailbird pretty quick, and we climbed on course but had to deviate right of course to 'dodge' some clouds, no big deal.

Here's what we saw once on course. Realize that we climbed over the first deck that you can see but the rest of the clouds were REALLY high and 'no factor':

As you can guess, there are not many pictures to take when over the water...except for clouds. We leveled and flew to Curaçao at 8500', and at one point had to climb to 9500' for a short while with a little more zig/zag. Here's the on-course heading to Curaçao just off the left at 8500'....NOT GOOD...but notice the deck is falling off to the right so we flew right:

We needed to deviate maybe 20 degrees right and climb to 9500' feet (and we were not concerned about the even/odd rule for our direction of flight 100's of miles from nowhere). Here's the deck we climbed over and 'through the valley' that looked just fine:

Last edited by Rosie : 05-19-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 PM

When filling out the flight plan, they asked when we would cross the FIR. I forget what that stands for but it's the boundary line between two centers and who controls who. We started with Santo Domingo controllers then were switch to Curaçao controllers at the boundary line. It's not showing in this GPS picture because I was not zoomed in enough but it did alert me that we were close:

Here I zoomed in and cursored over the Curaçao Boundary to see this (cursor down show Santo Domingo):

Ok, here's the most exciting things we saw....some clouds:

Like I said before, it's fun to see 'Nearest Airports' when out in the middle of the ocean.
In order: Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire and two Venezuelan Airports:

Nice and comforting to see your RV buddies out there!

Next thing you know (time flies over water...yea...right...), Jailbird says, "Let's head down"...........Keys asks, "Are we over water yet?" I love these guys!

We went from nice flying to 'hazy' flying as we headed downhill to 1000'.....

I chased Jailbird and Keys chased me down final (he's just to the left abeam the beginning of the runway):

It's official....we are in Curaçao!

I'll get the details from Jailbird but let it suffice that he was in contact with the Aero Club AND the Tourism Department...this is the group who were there to greet us on our arrival....VERY COOL!

Last edited by Rosie : 05-29-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM

We had the MOST AWESOME WELCOME PARTY OF PEOPLE we've ever seen in our lifetime of owning and flying an RV! Here are the pics to show you how much fun it was! We received a framed "Welcome to Curaçao" award, a Book (received directly from the author) and a big, blue bottle of Liqueur:

The author of the book, Bea Moedt with Keys:

Proof Positive we are in Curacao....at least for a few hours...You can see the flight from Santo Domingo was only 2:35 :-)

Last edited by Rosie : 05-29-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM

Jailbird, Keys and I could not help but offer rides to our hosts so off we went, and it was GREAT!

Rudolfo was a tower controller(?) and pilot so I got to look around as he made ALL the radio calls and flew the plane:

It was time for Keys/I to head out for Bonaire as we were told we had to be on the ground before 1800. Jailbird & Indira had planned to stay two nights on Curaçao and will join on in Bonaire on Sunday evening.

Here we are on the runway cleared for takeoff:

The flight to Bonaire took maybe 20 minutes, and Bonaire Klein (the small island next to Bonaire) is prohibited from overflight:

We climbed out above this layer to 3500' for the short flight:

On final to Flamingo Airport, Bonaire (TNCB):

The terminal building is actually PINK!

Yes Keys..."We have arrived!"

The rampees brought us some concrete blocks to use for tie-downs:

Here's the SPOT Track from today:

Here's our arrival to Buddy-Dive:

Ok, it's nearly 0100 local time, and I need to get some sleep. Keys/I have a dive brief with Buddy Dive at 0900. I also received an e-mail from a local who is following the trip and will join us diving, Gert Post.

I thank you all for watching us on the Spot Tracker as we crossed 375nm of open water!!!!

Keep poundin' them rivets because its DEFINITELY ALL WORTH IT! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited by Rosie : 05-29-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM

Default GPS signal

So what do you do if you loose all GPS signals for whatever crazy next to impossible reason? I assume you do not have radar contact for very long or do you? Flying just a heading for two hours will likely not take you to the destination maybe close though. Just curious as your destination is a pretty small target compared to all that water. Lol.

Sure is exciting watching your travels.

From Rosie: Funny you ask....Jailbird and I still have VORs, and if those fail, we fly south till we hit land. We had a squawk all the way down, but I could tell the radio calls were scratchy...not sure how well they were seeing us Here's one more picture from the ramp on Bonaire. This is the LOWEST latitude (farthest south) that we landed for the entire trip.

RV10 Built and Flying Since Feb 2009
850hrs Plus
CC EX-2 Flying
SuperSTOL Built and Sold
RV9 Built and Sold
Avid Aerobat Built and Sold
Dues paid 2017
New Family Travel (B)Log: http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com

Last edited by Rosie : 05-19-2013 at 02:38 AM.