- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Default April in San Miguel de Allende 2013

My wife Joan wanted us to stay in one place on our next trip so, since I want her to continue flying with me, I said yes. We rented a house in San Miguel de Allende for April for $1000. We took 2 weeks of Spanish Language classes and explored the area by walking a lot, and also we took taxis, and buses. We reserved a shuttle van the the drive back and forth after leaving the RV at Celaya airport. Believe it or not, it was fun, and we had a wonderful time
Here is our story with pictures.

http://tinyurl.com/avr7egm
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Stayed in SMdA some years ago, wonderful place. Looking forward to studying your pics in detail
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Default Thanks for the report!

Great trip report at tinyurl. With so much negative press about Mexico it's very interesting to read about your positive experiences flying into Mexico.

The attempted fraud on April 18 is common, with variations that use a poor phone connection but "grandson needs help" ploy for money, or relatives/friends on international travel. Don handled it right!

Did you attempt to find another RV-capable battery in Mexico?

Thanks!

Carl
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM

My wife and I enjoyed your detailed trip report. We visit Mexico almost every year (fly commercial) and a lot of it was familiar - soaking veggies in disinfectant, Mega grocery store, Spanish lessons, etc. I joined Baja Pilots just to learn more about flying in Mexico and would love to take a trip like yours. My wife isn't a pilot but she enjoys traveling and flying in the 9A is no exception.

So thanks a million for a great report. It made for great reading.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
Great trip report at tinyurl. With so much negative press about Mexico it's very interesting to read about your positive experiences flying into Mexico.

The attempted fraud on April 18 is common, with variations that use a poor phone connection but "grandson needs help" ploy for money, or relatives/friends on international travel. Don handled it right!

Did you attempt to find another RV-capable battery in Mexico?

Thanks!

Carl
Hi Carl
Yes the Attempted fraud was very traumatic to me I didn't do very well in spanish class the next day after the attempt didn't sleep well.

I could have bought a Mexican motorcycle battery like I did the last time but propping the airplane was fairly easy. I had a new battery waiting for me on my workbench for me when I returned home.
Don
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
My wife and I enjoyed your detailed trip report. We visit Mexico almost every year (fly commercial) and a lot of it was familiar - soaking veggies in disinfectant, Mega grocery store, Spanish lessons, etc. I joined Baja Pilots just to learn more about flying in Mexico and would love to take a trip like yours. My wife isn't a pilot but she enjoys traveling and flying in the 9A is no exception.

So thanks a million for a great report. It made for great reading.
Hi Don
Ok why not take your 9A down there it is easy and a lot more convenient than commercial and a lot more fun. Baja bush pilots are a great organization and I am proud to be a member.
Don
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 AM

Default Flying into Mexico

Hi all,

It is great to see posts like this about flying trips into Mexico, and even more pleasant to learn about the successes and enjoyment of such flights.

I am a pilot, businessman, and -8 builder living in Monterrey, Mexico, so please feel free to contact me regarding any of your flying and non-flying concerns about your amigos to the south: from basic flying information, permits, language, things to see and eat, as well as places to go ( and those to better stay away from).
I have travelled to many places around Mexico and probably can give you a hint or two so you can plan your next trip across the border to be even safer and more fun.
I'll be more than happy to help fellow RV builders!

Saludos!
EAA #1133587
RV-8 SB Wings in Monterrey, Mexico
N511MV Registered
MyKitLog

Last edited by mvidalr : 05-20-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Don, thank you for posting such a wonderful blog about your trip! My wife and I have been to Mexico twice in the last couple years (Los Cabos area - San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas) and we just love it down there. We are very excited about taking our own RV down there when I get it finished. I must admit I have been a bit nervous about the thought of travel on the Mexican mainland, which is why we stayed on the Baja peninsula. But your story has made a big impression on us. I'm glad you and your wife had a wonderful time, and thanks again for writing about it and posting the pictures.
Dues Proudly Paid for 2016
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM

What did you use to "paint" the big N number
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Great report! I really appreciate the time you took to organize your photos and write up the trip online. It's too bad about the phone scam, but like someone else said, I've heard these things happen a lot in United States. I myself have gotten several calls from people claiming to be Microsoft technicians who want to log into my computer to "fix" something. I just laugh, offer a suggestion as to what they can do with themselves, and hang up

I've visited a number of places in Mexico over the years, being married to a woman from Mexico City. It's a great place to visit, and someday I want to do it in my own airplane.