What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Class 4 Medical and RPP

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Anyone here flying under a Recreational Pilot Permit with a Class 4 medical? I am considering "downgrading" to this standard, but I won't bother if it there is no significant difference in the standard applied with regard to cardiovascular fitness. 5 years ago I had a mitral valve failure and received a mechanical valve. Got my medical back in 7 months and have maintained it since, but not with a huge margin above what TC considers minimums that it is comfortable with. Just got a pacemaker implanted yesterday; I know the pacemaker on its own is not a huge concern for TC (can reapply to resume flying status in 90 days), but I am concerned about the cumulative effect of my existing issues plus the pacer on keeping my medical long term.

Any experience that fellow Canadians have to share would be appreciated. Can't wait to call Transport on Monday to tell them about my latest "upgrade". Sigh.

Got my answer

For anyone who may be curious about this question, I brought it up when I called Transport today to inform them of my new modification. So...if you have looked at the Class 4 medical application, there is a list of problematic medical conditions; if you have no history of any of those problems, you sign it, get a doctor to certify and sign it, and you're done. If you have any of those conditions in your history, however, you have to go to a CAME, and they end up doing a full medical just like for a Class 3, and apply the same standards. In other words, no advantage whatsoever over the Class 3 and PPL, according to the person at the Edmonton Civil Aviation Medicine office I spoke to today.

Back