What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP: Up North Aviation (CNC panel cutting)

wjb

Well Known Member
I'd like to give a very positive PIREP for VAF advertiser Up North Aviation and their CNC panel cutting service.

After carefully laying out my panel using Van's .dxf drawing, I found that 0.82 inches went missing off the bottom of the "real" panel (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=151101). The brain trust informed me that Van's drawing is unbent; the L bend in the bottom is not indicated in the drawing.

Poop. Gotta cut an extended panel to get the space back.

Rather than trying to do it all myself, I contacted Bill M. at Up North Aviation to see if he could cut both the panel profile as well as the instrument holes on a piece of aluminum from ACS; I'd somehow add an L-angle to the bottom myself.

Bill sez, "it's a lot easier than that. Just have Vans ship me an 'oversized blank' (oversized rectangle with just the bend) and I can cut the rest - all the OEM holes and edges, plus your layout." He even provides .dxf's of "extended panels" for your layout convenience.

I ordered, and Van's sent the panel; I sent Bill a .dxf of my desired layout. After a quick iteration or two, he had the panel cut and back in my hands in just a few days; quite a bit faster than I would have expected. It came out perfectly; worth every penny.

Bill was a joy to work with. If you're looking for a pro to cut the panel just right, check out Up North Aviation, www.upnorthaviation.com

(my panel photos coming to DR's gallery soon!)

Last edited:
AGREE

Could not agree with you more on this one... we are still finishing up our panel but Bill helped us cut (3) versions of it very quickly due to last minute changes we decided to make. Easy to work with, right price, timely delivery, and perfect cuts every time!

Will work with Bill again!

Very easy to work with, told him what I wanted, he emailed me a drawing, I approved, then I ordered material to be drop shipped to him and wham O all done perfect!

+1 for Bill and Up North Aviation.

I only had to have him cut two versions of my panel when I changed my mind on panel configurations. 😉

Great person to work with and he does outstanding work!

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, Florida

Bill is Awesome!

Contacted Bill at Up North Aviation (VAF advertiser) to start on my panel based on the positive feedback in this forum. He received my panel and mock-up via USPS on Monday afternoon, and in only a few short days I have full size drawings ready to print and verify in the airplane. So far I?ve been very impressed with how quickly he responds and the quality of the drawing!

Mock-up

After several revisions, Bill at Up North Aviation (VAF advertiser) provided me with a full size .pdf which I took to a local office supply retailer. They printed out on heavy stock for $6, and I used some contact adhesive to attached to foam board ($7 from same retailer). Installed a toggle switch just to ensure no clearance issues, and I think it's ready to cut! (FWIW - Bill happily made the numerous revisions needed for me to confirm it was perfect).

16tef6.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back