What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heated pitot outboard of tie down / bell crank bay

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi,

I?m deciding the best location for the pitot tube and understand it can be hard to place at the plans location (one bay inboard from bellcrank bay) due length of alu tube needed vs aileron pushrods. Note I will likely put it in the rh wing.

For anyone who has installed the pitot one bay OUTBOARD of the bellcrank rib, did you ever find any issues tying the aircraft down? Is this a real concern? (Any photos?)

If this is an issue, is there any reason not to put it further outboard? (AOA issues or big speed variations when slipping etc)

Thank you!

My pitot is outboard of the bell crank on the left wing and have not had any issues with tie-down. It is much easier to install outboard, too. :)

I did exactly the same,

So the controller is on the access panel underneath the bell crank assembly? Was this on the left wing or the right?

I?m wondering if either a) there would be enough room underneath the right aileron bellcrank / AP servo for the heater controller or b) if the wires for the controller could reach from the next most inboard access panel from the bell crank bay, to the pitot mast in the bay one outboard of the right aileron bellcrank bay.

So the controller is on the access panel underneath the bell crank assembly? Was this on the left wing or the right?

I?m wondering if either a) there would be enough room underneath the right aileron bellcrank / AP servo for the heater controller or b) if the wires for the controller could reach from the next most inboard access panel from the bell crank bay, to the pitot mast in the bay one outboard of the right aileron bellcrank bay.

Left wing, one bay outboard of bellcrank access panel. There is plenty of room for the controller on the left wing access panel.

I have mine in the stock location, no problems with tie down. It does take a bit longer to route the alum tubing to keep it clear on the pushrod/bellcrank but it's a one time job once it's shaped and connected to the pitot and AOA plastic lines. I'm using the heated GAP 26 but unregulated so no control box to mount.

This thread is very timely for me. If you put the Garmin pitot/AOA mast in the factory location, is the interference with the regulator/controller or with the mast itself? I'm using the unregulated version but if I'm going to move it, now is the easiest time due to having the wing ribs in my priming booth rather than riveted to the spars. :)

This thread is very timely for me. If you put the Garmin pitot/AOA mast in the factory location, is the interference with the regulator/controller or with the mast itself? I'm using the unregulated version but if I'm going to move it, now is the easiest time due to having the wing ribs in my priming booth rather than riveted to the spars. :)

The interference is from the alum tubes coming from the GAP 26 and the aileron pushrod/ bellcrank. You need to perform some origami with the tubes to keep them clear. The alum tubes needs to remain at least a certain length (forgot exactly) so you can't just cut them short and run the flexible tubing around the pushrod to the pitot/AOA. It took me maybe 30 minutes extra to bend them into a shape that keeps them clear. But if you go one more bay out, you don't have anything in the way so it's simpler.

Thanks Chris,

So I?m thinking maybe there is less of an issue with bending the tubes from the pitot tube itself, and more of an issue with the tie down rope damaging the installed pitot.

Does anyone have any installed pics of how they bent their alu tubes out of the mast when installed at the plans location? (One bag inboard of bellcrank bay)

I have mine in the stock location, no problems with tie down. It does take a bit longer to route the alum tubing to keep it clear on the pushrod/bellcrank but it's a one time job once it's shaped and connected to the pitot and AOA plastic lines. I'm using the heated GAP 26 but unregulated so no control box to mount.

Exactly the same here. I haven't flown yet (should be sometime in February!), but it was easy to setup and I can't think of a reason to deviate from the stock location.

Back