- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Default more info please

Allen,
Love your work and will be a customer soon.

Can you give more info, like a link to the Timken part number page. I used the info you gave and spend a few minutes on Timken's site and couldn't come up with a detail sheet.

Could you give us a drawing/sketch of how the bearings are mounted.

I understand what Bob and others are saying, one is the bearing moving and the other is the bearing failing. Remember, we are comparing this to what we know works and even though we hear you and a customer say it works, we need to know or understand how it won't fail on us.

I like the whole idea of this. I have serviced many wheel assemblies and always thought, this is very basic and old technology and always ask the cleveland folks at SNF and OSH when we will see better components? This year, they said they have a new rubber seal out to replace the old felt pads on the outter part of the assembly......geezzz seems like a very small improvement from my perspective. Allen is really taking a outside the box approach to updating an old design, Thanks Allen.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
...when I set the plane onto it's mains I'm not always pointing perfectly down the runway...and there is quite a bit of side loading...
The side loading on the wheels and bearings is not just when you touch down sideways or when you are turning. The nature of the RV landing gear, especially those with steel-rod gear legs, is that the toe angle of the tires cannot be precisely controlled. So there is almost always some side-loading as the two tires push towards each other or pull away from each other, even while you are taxiing perfectly straight.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Martin View Post
Allen,
Love your work and will be a customer soon.

Can you give more info, like a link to the Timken part number page. I used the info you gave and spend a few minutes on Timken's site and couldn't come up with a detail sheet.

Could you give us a drawing/sketch of how the bearings are mounted.

I understand what Bob and others are saying, one is the bearing moving and the other is the bearing failing. Remember, we are comparing this to what we know works and even though we hear you and a customer say it works, we need to know or understand how it won't fail on us.

I like the whole idea of this. I have serviced many wheel assemblies and always thought, this is very basic and old technology and always ask the cleveland folks at SNF and OSH when we will see better components? This year, they said they have a new rubber seal out to replace the old felt pads on the outter part of the assembly......geezzz seems like a very small improvement from my perspective. Allen is really taking a outside the box approach to updating an old design, Thanks Allen.
...When we set out to do this modification we contacted Timken and had their engineering department recommend the best possible bearings for this application. We told them the bearings that are currently in use and after they stopped laughing, and explaining how antiquated aircraft are. They began telling me that for some reason aircraft never change and they refuse to move into this century, this is what they said is the absolute best available bearing for this job, installed exactly as they specified. This part number is RA-103-RR2 AG. Below is a link to the specs on these and after looking at them it is obvious that they are many times overkill. The extended dynamic load rating for these is 4,900 Lbs each and static load range is 2,500 Lbs each. When you look at these numbers times four it is obvious. See link below; Thanks, Allan....
http://app5.websitetonight.com/proje...ll_Bearing.pdf
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfTech View Post
...The extended dynamic load rating for these is 4,900 Lbs each and static load range is 2,500 Lbs each. When you look at these numbers times four it is obvious. See link below; Thanks, Allan....
http://app5.websitetonight.com/proje...ll_Bearing.pdf
Those radial loads are all well and good, but what is their rating for axial (thrust) loading? That is the real concern here. And whatever it is, you can't multiply it by four, since without an inner race spacer all of the axial loading will be taken up by one bearing in each wheel.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 PM

Default another concern

As an engineer and a skateboard father, I have to agree with Bob. I would not use these ball bearings without an inner spacer. The spacer allows the pre load to be set and proper preload is very important to ball bearings. In addition, the spacer allows the inner race to be secured and kept from turning. The sealed ball bearings have some inherent drag. If the inner race is not secured and allowed to float, the inner race will turn on the axle, the "bearing" then becomes the inner race and the axle. In short order, the axle will start wearing, overheat, lose temper and then bad things start to happen. I would recommend a spacer be used. The skateboard guys stopped using inner spacers to save money and most skateboards I see have this problem with the bearings no longer working as bearings. JMHO, your mileage may vary.
he travels the fastest who travels alone-Kipling

Last edited by johnny stick : 06-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 AM

Default Sealed bearing mod

Seems that a spacer, being discussed, would not be much of a problem to ad to the mod, although I am not an engineer.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Working on a RV-4
Citabria 7GCBC
Cessna 180
RV7 I0-360 C/S, Slider, AP, Glass, etc. sold.
RV6 O-320 F/P, Slider, AP, Steam, etc., sold
Citabria 7KCAB rental
Piper Cherokee, sold
Sparrowhawk, sold

Proud -VAF- Supporter - Exempt, Dues Paid Anyway.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Talking Wow! Many Thanks

... I came to our office today as usual and proceeded to our e-mail to answer questions and check orders Etc. To my pleasant surprise we are practically inundated with orders and inquiries on this new main wheel modification. It isn't even lunch time and we have six more firm orders and fourteen inquiries.

[ed. Couple sentences that I interpreted as disrespectful removed by me - maybe I read it wrong, as the typed word sometimes doesn't convey emotion accurately. Edited title, also. dr]
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-22-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Default Antisplat wheel mods.

This Antisplat wheel mod will also sure make it nice for repairing a flat; rotating or changing tires.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Working on a RV-4
Citabria 7GCBC
Cessna 180
RV7 I0-360 C/S, Slider, AP, Glass, etc. sold.
RV6 O-320 F/P, Slider, AP, Steam, etc., sold
Citabria 7KCAB rental
Piper Cherokee, sold
Sparrowhawk, sold

Proud -VAF- Supporter - Exempt, Dues Paid Anyway.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Based on your company videos I am led to believe that the nose wheel does get a spacer. Why is it desirable on the front but not needed on the mains? In fact, the video says that the front gets tightened down to prevent things from rotating on the shaft, which is exactly one of the concerns expressed in this thread.
Rag and tube project well under way

paid =VAF= dues through June 2013

Last edited by szicree : 06-22-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Cool

I'm with Steve. This is an interesting idea and I want to believe but I have some concerns.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan

Last edited by ColoRv : 06-22-2012 at 09:28 PM.