What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple vs. countersink - page 12-12 step 3 vs. page 12-11 step 6

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I ran into a bit of a snag with the plans for the empennage. Page 12-11 (revision 2) step 6 says to dimple the holes in the vertical stabilizer assembly where the empennage gap cover is dimpled and, if desired, finish the dimples with a countersink. I dimpled these holes.

Page 12-12 (revision 1) step 3 says to counter-sink those holes to accept the empennage gap covers.

The nutplate that is called for is a K1000-6. The center hole in that nutplate will not fit over the dimple for the #6 screw.

Is there a nutplate I can find in the kit that will work here, or am I going to have to flatten those dimples out and counter-sink the holes?

I think all my K1100-06 nutplates have been used up, other than the 10 in the wing kit. I'm leaning toward using my flush set in the pneumatic squeezer to un-dimple these two holes and then counter-sinking them. For those who haven't dimpled yet, I think the answer is to skip the dimpling step on those two holes.

Dimpled nutplates

I ran into a bit of a snag with the plans for the empennage. Page 12-11 (revision 2) step 6 says to dimple the holes in the vertical stabilizer assembly where the empennage gap cover is dimpled and, if desired, finish the dimples with a countersink. I dimpled these holes.

Page 12-12 (revision 1) step 3 says to counter-sink those holes to accept the empennage gap covers.

The nutplate that is called for is a K1000-6. The center hole in that nutplate will not fit over the dimple for the #6 screw.

Is there a nutplate I can find in the kit that will work here, or am I going to have to flatten those dimples out and counter-sink the holes?

Would these help?https://images.app.goo.gl/sGov3pebPZZ19TyN7

I am not sure, but my guess is that the MS21047 nutplate would not help. The problem is that the dimpled hole for the #6 screw interferes with a K1000-06 nutplate, and those look like they have the same center hole as a K1000-06. A K1100-06 with the big center cone would have room for the dimple. But the path of least resistance in my situation is to just squash the VS flange flat where I dimpled the #6 screw holes and countersink them instead. Not a big deal, just something I wish I had noticed before I did the dimples.

Update for those playing the home game, I decided to use a couple of K1100-06 nutplates from the wing kit in these positions and order a couple more later on.

Good. Its the right choice.

Think about the motivations for each option the next time you are in this situation.

What is the best for the airplane disregarding all of the pressures that make you want to take a shortcut.? Recognize the pressures and respond correctly.

At this stage in your build, there is ALWAYS something else to work on which gives plenty of time for an order from Spruce or Vans. Using parts from elsewhere and replacing later is a common technique to make the 'issue' invisible to the build.

Back