- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Great plan! I did the same for my -7. I can completely pull the panel in less than 10 minutes. Quick disconnect the pneumatics to the steam gauges and ADAHRS, disconnect the cable bundles, remove the screws and out she comes.
Is that the standard or extra-tall panel? Or did you roll your own?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Great plan! I did the same for my -7. I can completely pull the panel in less than 10 minutes. Quick disconnect the pneumatics to the steam gauges and ADAHRS, disconnect the cable bundles, remove the screws and out she comes.

Back view of connector array:

No need for back aches!
This is really elegant. Got any specs and suppliers on those great looking connectors?
RIP TinyPic.

Last edited by Hardy : 09-21-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Avionics locations and access

Those connectors appear to be the Circular Plastic Connector (CPC) series from TE available through Digikey, Allied, etc. They use the crimp pins that are used in the D Sub connectors.
These connectors are similar to the very much more expensive mil 38999 series of connectors. After a previous lifetime spent in the aerospace design engineering business I can say with some conviction that connector issues are associated with 90% of the reliability and maintainability issues of getting a new system into service so adding a bunch of connectors may be making the troubleshooting easier but increasing the probability that it will be needed.
Since we are building a “ one off” and not designing for production the parts that need to be easily removable should be the parts with the highest failure rate. Removing the whole panel may not be necessary other than for the initial wiring and checkout. Being able to diagnose the root cause of the in service problem is a big part of the design configuration process - especially when the failure is on a trip at a remote location.
Having some capability to “break in “ to the wiring is a good idea. Either a separate “test” connector or using terminal strips that easily allow internal wiring to be probed. Using the 16 pin terminal strips from Cinch is one option. Looks a little ( ok- a lot) ancient but it is very reliable. Takes up more space and heavier but much more reliable and has more utility. Did I mention reliable ? Not suited to line production but that is not a consideration. When considering what is good design for the specific application I think it is important to work through all the likely scenarios from initial construction to maintenance for each candidate design solution. I keep coming back to the terminal strip solution as a way to be able to troubleshoot and diagnose faults with just a simple multimeter for test equipment. Still looking for a more elegant solution but that is top of the list for now.

KT
Old 09-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
SNIP....Removing the whole panel may not be necessary other than for the initial wiring and checkout. SNIP

I keep coming back to the terminal strip solution as a way to be able to troubleshoot and diagnose faults with just a simple multimeter for test equipment. SNIP
KT
On the first point, don’t overlook future panel mods. Once flying many builders figure out that what seemed like a good idea (placement of stuff for example) proved other wise. Simple mods should not require major surgery. The longest one of my panels went from first flight to first mod was 18 months. No replacement of avionics, just layout changes.

On terminal strips - recommend against using them. They take up a massive amount of space, add a boatload of wire and connections and typically do not help much in troubleshooting. D connectors where you have each pin documented however are great for anything other than power and with a simple jumper serve the same function of a terminal strip.

Carl
Old 09-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:

No need for back aches!
Is the compass card PAI-700 ?
If so, I was thinking the same for my RV-7, but I was not sure about access to the adjustment screws when panel mounted.
http://www.mykitlog.com/N741BN