What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

solvent?

prkaye

Well Known Member
My engine manual says to use "Solvent" for cleaning certain things like oil screens and spark plugs. What is an appropriate type of solvent for this type of thing? Standard paint thinner? Mineral spirits?

Mineral spirits is a fairly standard solvent for that kind of thing. It has the benefit of not damaging most painted surfaces, so you if you get a little careless, no harm.

It's also a good solvent to use on a greasy airplane belly, if you have that issue.

I'll second mineral spirits. That's what they use most often in solvent tanks in automotive repair shops.

Generally speaking, Stoddard solvent is the solvent to use. Last time I bought some, within the year, the oil company guy explained that it's naptha and that it's the same material as mineral spirits and paint thinner.

I looked it up for this and if you're interested, http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp79-c3.pdf. This doesn't make that comparison and I didn't look up the other fluids.

Depends...

Mineral Spirits works well for exterior surfaces and general cleaning. However, Mineral Spirits leaves a residue film of "oil" and will redeposit contamination, so use lots of clean rags.
For spark plug's, gasket mating surfaces, anything that needs to be "squeaky" clean, I use MEK. MEK is very aggressive and will eat your paint. So be careful.
For general cleaning, I have found Simple Green Extreme, Aircraft, to be an excellent general purpose cleaner. It suspends oils and contamination very well making it easier to wipe clean.
I use to use Stoddard, and still do in my solvent tank for heavy parts cleaning, screens, etc...but it is really tough on the skin if you get any exposure, so I use it only for tough jobs and dress accordingly (gloves, long sleeves, eye protection, etc...) Amazingly enough, I have found the Simple Green to cut almost as well.

Last edited:
I found this old thread and wanted an update on a good general purpose solvent cleaning the firewall and other engine compartment parts during annual inspection. We used Varsol in the 90s but can?t find it anymore. Thanks all!

Mineral spirits for engine and attached parts. I've used Simple Green AC on a rag for firewall, engine mount tubes, hoses, etc. Mineral spirits works here too, but as mentioned above it does leave some residue/takes a long time to dry completely.

And

And, though MEK works well, it is also very bad for you and can cause permanent neurological issues. It is easily absorbed through your skin, too...

I believe the "mineral spirits" sold by Lowe's, with the brand name Jasco works as well as Stoddard Solvent, or Varsol.

The main difference as near as I can tell is that it is a "light distillate" rather than a "heavy Naptha". I suspect this is to make it more environmentally friendly and easier to get past EPA requirements for retail distribution. --But, I'm not a chemist.

I use the Jasco brand mineral spirits as a solvent inside the cowling, on engine parts, and even on the painted surfaces of my little tube & fabric airplane with a pretty nice paint job. And, with no ill-effects. The guy in the hangar behind me has been using hardware store mineral spirits on his museum quality restored Stearman, especially on the exhaust soot trail.

Last edited:
I've used Simple Green AC on a rag for firewall, engine mount tubes, hoses, etc.

As we found out in another recent thread, per MSDS the new formula for Simple Green got rid of phosphates which used to do the degreasing part. One cheap and doubt-free option is to buy phosphate ("TSP") in bulk from Home Depot and make own mild solvent. Make sure to rinse well with water if using phosphates, any residue will etch metals (slowly over time).

As we found out in another recent thread, per MSDS the new formula for Simple Green got rid of phosphates which used to do the degreasing part. One cheap and doubt-free option is to buy phosphate ("TSP") in bulk from Home Depot and make own mild solvent. Make sure to rinse well with water if using phosphates, any residue will etch metals (slowly over time).
Interesting. Can't find it. Can you give me a link or thread name/page?

I'll update if I dig up the thread on here, but here are two data sheets google pulls up, one from 2012 and a more recent one from 2014. Marketing departments tend to reuse a profitable brand despite changing the formula. The "aircraft" version supposedly still contains a bit of phosphoric in the mix.

Edit: in case I misread the question here is what a box of TSP looks like.

Last edited:
TSP

I usually see TSP in the Paint aisle. Used for deglossing surfaces before repainting as well as other cleaning jobs, removing old floor wax etc. Really good degreaser, so I wouldn?t be surprised if a little was included in the Simple Green A/C formulation. Good stuff to have on hand always.

If you're worried about safety, a good alternative is d-limonene. I've found it to be a very good degreaser, although it needs to be left on surfaces a bit longer than things like MEK or naptha.

100LL and denatured alcohol

Even at pump price, 100LL is cheaper than any solvent around. No mater what you use, there is flammability issues, so use good judgment. I spray solvent through a basic air siphon gun if needed, and also keep a case or two of the brake/parts cleaner for certain stubborn areas not subject to paint, ect. If I am just doing a "wipe down" clean, my go to is denatured alcohol. The alcohol is non-damaging to most everything, and dries quickly with little residue.

Back