What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 ventilation, again .

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Ready to install the NACA vents. I see them in the canopy skirt, cheek cowl extension and fuse wall under the cheek extention.
1- canopy skirt, I read does not work.
2- bottom side of cheek extension works well, but tricky install.
3- fuse wall between cheek extension and leading edge should pick up high pressure and easy install.

Your experience ?

What I did..

I put one on each side under cheek through fuselage skin. I didn't run any ducting to panel, but rather just put the eyeball vents on the flange of the NACA vent, so I reach down by my knee/shins to adjust. Very simple, and a lot of air in the front seat. I put a third NACA duct in the right wing lower skin about 2 feet outboard of the root (I think its in the RV-8 plans), and ran a 2" SCAT duct to the center of the rear stick well, and have a little close-out with an eyeball vent. It puts out enough air to the backseater to cause the mike to key on the headset if aimed directly at your face.

I've had one -4 with the naca in the canopy flange for the backseater; worked fine. current -4 didn't have back seat vent when purchased, so I bought the -10 vent kit and installed one of the flip-out vents in the side skin a few inches below the longeron and behind the roll bar bulkhead. Also works fine.

Worst thing about putting it in the canopy flange is that inexperienced passengers will point it at their face, and you get to listen to open-squelch wind noise for the whole flight. :)

Pilot naca is below the cheek on the right side. Plenty of air, but the hose from naca to instrument panel eyeball is a bit in the way of 'stuff'.

Charlie

I've had one -4 with the naca in the canopy flange for the backseater; worked fine. current -4 didn't have back seat vent when purchased, so I bought the -10 vent kit and installed one of the flip-out vents in the side skin a few inches below the longeron and behind the roll bar bulkhead. Also works fine.

Worst thing about putting it in the canopy flange is that inexperienced passengers will point it at their face, and you get to listen to open-squelch wind noise for the whole flight. :)

Pilot naca is below the cheek on the right side. Plenty of air, but the hose from naca to instrument panel eyeball is a bit in the way of 'stuff'.

Charlie

Mine are on the bottom side of the cowl cheek extensions. Yup took a bit of extra work but they work amazing. Tons of air even on the ground at idle. I have they running 4 air vents. Also no tubing down by your feet. I would do it again for sure.

Back