What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap hinge fit and alignment

I installed/riveted the hinge on the flap side and am about to install the hinge on the wing side. To get proper edge alignment with aileron I have to slide the hinge too far aft to maintain edge distance for rivets. I ordered the 1/4" wider hinge, 1.5" total width and planned on using half of the hinge for both right and left flaps to get proper alignment but the two halves don't nest with each other. The teeth end up being slightly off at each end(a couple thousandths).

Can the wing side hinge be cut in half? This should allow them to go together properly. The only other solution I see is to drill out the rivets and replace the hinge on the flaps. Maybe a third option is to file done the edges of the eyelets. Suggestion? Recommendations? Question is out to vans as well but figured I would get some additional feedback.

I checked old threads and someone else had a similar issue but fortunately they hadn't riveted the hinge to the flap yet. No don't really want to start drilling rivets.

Were both parts of the hinge together with the pin when you match drilled? I don't see a problem with filing the eyelets a tad, but confirm with home base, folks file the hinge eyes on the cowl hinge to fit at the bend.....

Hinge

That's weird. I use 1/2 hinge all the time and they always match. Is it possible the new one is different type like extruded hinge?

Same hinge, I matched the numbers stamped on them, I ordered an 1.25 and 1.5 inch hinge. Both of those can interchange. It's just the flap side with the hinge half that's already riveted that doesn't fit. It's from a wing kit from around 2008, but numbers on the hinges match. Could be tooling wear from mfg that causes problems.

Back