What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics tray tucked in above rudder pedals

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi VAFers,

I'm finishing up the the substructure below the F-771 forward top skin. I have been thinking ahead to installing the avionics and would like a to make easy use of the space above the rudder pedals and below the F-771 skin. I'd like to mount some remote boxes, batteries, and other goodies up there, but I want to make whatever I mount easily serviceable and removable when the need arises.

After some though and study of the plans, I've come up with an avionics tray, 12" x 18" that mounts to the bottom of the F-745 ribs, between the firewall and the F-768 sub panel. It's made from 40 mil 2024 aluminum sheet, with hinge stock to connect the panel to the F-745 ribs and some 6061 angle for stiffening in the lateral direction:

a2qjur.jpg

Here's a photo of the tray in place:

122f9n9.jpg

Here's a side view of the hinge stock installed:

4q1z6u.jpg

There is a very fortunate "natural" gap in the F-768 sub panel that permits easy access to the hinge pin:

2gx1ekw.jpg

Here's the view of the hinge pin from the cabin side (with the tipper raised)

24glfur.jpg

The plans don't show any penetrations of the firewall above the bottom edge of the F-745 ribs, though, I'll plan a penetration for the engine monitor up there somewhere, and mount it on the plate.

The plate comes out pretty easily if you slide it to the right away from the center rudder support brace (F-6118), I should have plenty of clearance for stuff mounted to the plate.

Hopefully, this is a good idea that folks may want to consider for their builds.

If, however, I've painted myself into a corner, please let me know!

Last edited:
I have a hinged tray in a similar location, but one bay to the left on my 7A Slider. I installed one hinge on the forward side by the firewall and screwed the aft end to the subpanel.

I originally had Lightspeed Ignition boxes mounted there, one on top and one on the bottom side. Getting to the topside box was a real pain.

I now have my remote Com (GTR 20) mounted to the bottom of the tray and nothing on the top side.

I did have to cut off part of the Aft, Inboard corner to provide clearance for the Backplate/wiring harness going to the GTN 750. It looks like you tray is dead center. Your panel mounted avionics will probably go through subpanel. The tray may interfere with the panel mounted avionics.

Last edited:
Back