What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Fairing Inflation doors

whd721

Well Known Member
Several vendors sell small ~ 3/4 inch inspection doors for adding air to RV aircraft tires.

Do you find these to be useful? Convenient? Worth the effort?

Thanks for comments.

I agree with Kyle's fix, I too use 1" snap plugs from the aviation aisle of Home Depot for access to the valve stems. Additionally, I aligned the stems with the 1" holes and then spray painted a 2" dot on the bottom inside of each tire. Now when I roll the dot vertical by the ground, the stem is aligned in the access hole. Dan

I agree with Kyle's fix, I too use 1" snap plugs from the aviation aisle of Home Depot for access to the valve stems. Additionally, I aligned the stems with the 1" holes and then spray painted a 2" dot on the bottom inside of each tire. Now when I roll the dot vertical by the ground, the stem is aligned in the access hole. Dan

The paint on the tire is a great idea, I'll have to do that.

Several vendors sell small ~ 3/4 inch inspection doors for adding air to RV aircraft tires.

Do you find these to be useful? Convenient? Worth the effort?

Thanks for comments.

I do NOT have access to put air in the tires without taking the wheel pant front section off. I feel that it is safer not having the air access hole as one is able to inspect the disc rotor and brake pads by taking a few screws off to put air in the tires.

I have the silly little 3/4" sprung doors and completely agree with Vlad and do as Condor describes.

Interesting.

I like 'em and would put them in again.

I have the spruce doors installed and they work fine on all 3 wheels. Tire paint is a requirement though. Is there a hidden issue behind the naysayers messages? Maybe not located just right??? Off just a smidge and the usefulness would certainly go in the toilet.

Those Spruce Camlock doors look interesting. Photos installed and photos in use?

<EDIT> Bill, I didn't see your post... do you mind sharing some photos?

Thanks,
Mike

Interesting.

Is there a hidden issue behind the naysayers messages?

I think the hidden message is that they feel that they would not inspect the brake pads often enough, if they did not have to remove the fairing for adding air anyway.

I have the spring loaded doors on my mains, and a snap plug on the nose wheel. The spring doors look a little cleaner, but they took more time than you would think to put them in. I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

I think the hidden message is that they feel that they would not inspect the brake pads often enough, if they did not have to remove the fairing for adding air anyway.

Precisely exactly correct Bob that's the message. :D

I would simply add that there's no requirement to continually inspect the pads outside of the normal condition inspection.

That being said, I've used the camlocs on my Rocket and would not use them again. I have 1" chrome snap rings installed on the -12.

1" chrome snap plugs

I have the chrome plugs too, but still regularly remove the wheel pant when adding air for the "inspection purposes" others have noted.

No plugs or doors

I just drilled the holes and left them open. I don't really see the holes anymore. Being naturally kind of lazy, I might tend to take off occasionally with under inflated tires if I had to remove the pants every time I wanted to check pressure or add air. Had a flat on roll out once which worries me more than brake pads. John

Back