What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage kit cost?

Aerosporty

Any guesses? Somewhere between RV7 and 10? It seems from the photos out there that there is not a WHOLE LOT of airplane to it, compared to the two available kits.:confused:

Actually in that "not a lot there" portion of the fuselage, there is a huge number of parts, but I think customers will have a lot of fun building it... there is virtually no parts to make from raw materials... just cleco parts together and rivet/bolt as needed.

The # crunchers in the office are hard at work on the final pricing details right now. By this time next week you should know what the "Fwd Fuselage" kit price is.

It SHOULD cost the same or less than a -7 fuse since there is less in the fuse kit for the -14, BUT I am sure it will be more because it is the latest design. I am guessing around $9,000.

Actually in that "not a lot there" portion of the fuselage, there is a huge number of parts, but I think customers will have a lot of fun building it... there is virtually no parts to make from raw materials... just cleco parts together and rivet/bolt as needed.

The # crunchers in the office are hard at work on the final pricing details right now. By this time next week you should know what the "Fwd Fuselage" kit price is.

You forgot the "debur all parts." part. My favorite. :)

It SHOULD cost the same or less than a -7 fuse since there is less in the fuse kit for the -14, BUT I am sure it will be more because it is the latest design. I am guessing around $9,000.

Once builders are able to compare the RV-14 fwd fuselage and RV-7/9 fuselage kit side by side, I think they will feel differently.

Everything in the RV-14 fuselage kit is prepunched / premanufactured.

The longerons that 7/9 builders have to make from extruded angle... already made and ready to cleco in... etc.

Also, keep in mind there is a huge difference in labor investment to develop the computer models, produce the parts, and produce the construction manual when compared to what come in the box for a 7 or 9 fuselage kit.

Once builders are able to compare the RV-14 fwd fuselage and RV-7/9 fuselage kit side by side, I think they will feel differently.

The longerons that 7/9 builders have to make from extruded angle... already made and ready to cleco in... etc.

Also, keep in mind there is a huge difference in labor investment to develop the computer models, produce the parts, and produce the construction manual when compared to what come in the box for a 7 or 9 fuselage kit.

You're making me jealous, Scott.

But that takes all the fun out of it! Fabrication is fun! If there were plans still available for scratchbuilding a -6 I'd have started years earlier.

(Seriously, I'd trade the prepunched and pre-formed parts out for not having to deburr edges of ribs and skins faster than you can say scotchbrite)

I helped build a -7 a few years ago to the point of the canopy and instrument installation. Took about a year to get it to the basic airframe done. It got put on hold for several years and I just cut and installed all the plexiglass a few Saturdays ago. Lots of new parts are here and we just about have the engine ready to go and will be installing the EFII injection kit soon.

I completely agree with everything you said, and I know it costs more, I was just wishing I guess.

I too like to fabricate and also feel like it adds to the fun and sense of accomplishment of a project. Having said that I am still having a blast assembling the -14 kit and love the level of detail of both the parts and the plans. So far the -14 looks like a truly amazing machine.

Market demand has proven that you are very much in the minority with that viewpoint (though I am somewhat in agreement with you).

Oh, from a market perspective it's definitely a good thing--the more people we have building their airplanes and flying them, the better. Advanced kits don't really steal people away from basic kits or scratchbuilding; they bring new people in who would otherwise never finish (or start) an airplane.

I just feel like I'm cheating sometimes, comparing my -7 to Dad's -6 :eek:

Back