VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 PM

Angry Landing wiring but no taxi wiring

Just remember (please double check) the Vans standard fuselage wiring harness (needs to be ordered separately) there is only wiring for landing lights but not taxi lights. I think I remember getting caught with that issue.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
Just remember (please double check) the Vans standard fuselage wiring harness (needs to be ordered separately) there is only wiring for landing lights but not taxi lights. I think I remember getting caught with that issue.
Where do the taxi lights go? Is it not in one of the wings? Can you not use the landing light harness in one wing for the landing light? I am building a 14 taildragger.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Received RV-14 Empennage Kit October 22, 2019
Old 11-17-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
Where do the taxi lights go? Is it not in one of the wings? Can you not use the landing light harness in one wing for the landing light? I am building a 14 taildragger.
The usual way is/was to aim the light in one wing as a taxi light, so yes you can use the 14AWG wire in the Van's harness for that purpose.

However if you choose to use two of the Flyleds Combo lights you would get landing lights and taxi lights in both wings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
Wires F2291 and F2313 in the WH-00125 fuselage harness can be repurposed to power the Flyleds taxi lights, given that they only draw one amp. These two wires join up with wire L419 in the wings.

We now have wiring diagrams and (soon!) a kit of parts to integrate Flyleds position and strobe kits and landing lights with the Van's harnesses available on our website.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:14 AM

Default Taxi-Landing lights

After looking up my drawing I ended up using wires F2291 and F2313 for the wig-wag which is how they were intended I believe. FlyLed solution looks good for a combination light and there kit to modify the harness looks straight forward. I am not sure if the wig-wag option is still able to be used but I know others such as vertical power can do it without the synch lines. I ended up running wiring after the fact and it was a little bit of a pain adding wires but doable. (Adding at the same time the harness was installed would be much easier) I am assuming the RV-10 builders had the same issue with using one landing and one taxi. There are some posts out there modifying the harnesses for heated pitot and other issues worth looking at.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:15 AM

Default Taxi-Landing lights

After looking up my drawing I ended up using wires F2291 and F2313 for the wig-wag which is how they were intended I believe. FlyLed solution looks good for a combination light and there kit to modify the harness looks straight forward. I am not sure if the wig-wag option is still able to be used but I know others such as vertical power can do it without the synch lines. I ended up running wiring after the fact and it was a little bit of a pain adding wires but doable. (Adding at the same time the harness was installed would be much easier) I am assuming the RV-10 builders had the same issue with using one landing and one taxi. There are some posts out there modifying the harnesses for heated pitot and other issues worth looking at.