- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 AM

Default OT portable generator waveform?

I'm sorry this is a stretch to call it RV-related, except that people may use portable generators for power in their hangars where their RVs are kept. But I wanted to try to tap into the expertise here.

I am shopping for a 8000W class portable generator for home use during power outage, as well as portable power for the barn. There are several products in the $1000 range, and a desirable feature of some of them is dual-fuel (LPG and gasoline).

A friend suggested I pay attention to the output waveform of these generators. But the vendors supply no specs or data.

For most things, I'm not sure if I care. The main power draw will be my well pump. I suppose motors run better, cooler, with cleaner power waveforms, but I don't know that it will effect pump performance or life for the limited time it will run off the generator. We would probably want to run the computer. Nowadays, they have pretty sophisticated power supplies, and my suspicion is that it would clean up any dirty power signal to keep the rest of the computer happy.

By comparison, a Honda gas-only 7000W generator is about $4000.
Other than the great reputation and brand loyalty for Honda, why so much? Does it produce a cleaner output waveform? How would I know?

Any insights appreciated.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 500 in 8-3/4 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Steve, many so called portable generators are actually alternators-----not sure if that makes much of a difference, but this might help.

https://yamahaef2000is.com/conventio...ter-generator/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
By comparison, a Honda gas-only 7000W generator is about $4000.
Other than the great reputation and brand loyalty for Honda, why so much? Does it produce a cleaner output waveform? How would I know?
I can't comment on wave forms of the output, but in my experience the most evident difference between a Honda and some of the lesser expensive brands is operating noise level. Most of the Honda's are relatively quite. Most of the cheaper brands, not so much.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-17-2018, 01:04 PM

If concerned about smaller electronics and power fluctuations, consider using a UPS or isolation transformer to keep things happy.

I have a medical grade Isolation Transformer/UPS inline for my computer and network equipment to ensure there are no spikes or under-currents.

When you decide on a generator, I would be interested in your pick as I need one for the same reasons. Horses go through a LOT of water.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 05-17-2018, 01:21 PM

I took apart one of those portable generators a few months ago (courtesy of hurricane Irma), and to my surprise there wasn't any electronics in it. Basically it's just two spinning coils connected straight to the output. Computers will not run on that, because the waveform is all over the place as it depends heavily on engine speed and load.
If you want to run any sensitive electronics on it you would probably get away with using a UPS made for PCs. The UPS itself won't be happy (mine kept beeping occasionally), but the electronics/computers will run fine on it.
Those Honda generator use an inverter to convert the power back to a proper waveform and voltage. They are expensive, but they are way better built, a whole lot quieter and last much longer than the $1000 spinning coils.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Steve, many so called portable generators are actually alternators-----not sure if that makes much of a difference, but this might help.

https://yamahaef2000is.com/conventio...ter-generator/
That is a big help Mike. Now I understand why the Honda is so much more money. It is an inverter generator, true sine wave output. They can also be paralleled.

Thanks to Raymo and Lenny too. Yes, the cheap ones are just an alternator. So the choice is to run the alternator type, with a UPS, or get the Honda or similar.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 500 in 8-3/4 years
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017

Last edited by scsmith : 05-17-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:32 PM

All the 'traditional' AC line current generators are alternators: they must make alternating current.

Their wave forms will be pretty close to what you'd see on regular line voltage. Their *frequency stability* (how close they stay to 60 Hz in the USA or 50 Hz in Europe, etc) might vary a bit between brands, and certainly with loads that vary quickly between minimum and near max rated. Smaller and intermittent duty models typically run at 3600 rpm; larger and continuous duty models sometimes run at 1800 rpm. Note that both are divisible by 60 (Hz).

The relatively new inverter generators might be DC generators, or multi-phase AC alternators rectified to DC (similar to our aircraft alternators), with the DC voltage being fed to an inverter to create AC voltage. This is where quality of product could make a big difference. Poorly designed/built models might have both poor frequency control, and poor synthesis of a clean sine wave to mimic AC line power. The reason is that it's a lot easier (read: cheaper) to make an inverter that generates a square wave than a sine wave. The 'corners' of a square wave is where the noise is. Frequency stability will likely be good on any of them, but waveform cleanliness could vary a lot between brands/models.

No one else can make the call for you, but you can find lots of accounts of people using traditional portable generators to run their households during power outages. I've run my freezer, fridge, computers, and fans numerous times over the years on an ancient 3.5 KW pull-start 'portable' (probably weighs 150 lbs). That includes almost a week of intermittent use to keep the food from spoiling and fans running at night, in the aftermath of Katrina.

Charlie
Old 05-17-2018, 01:57 PM

Default http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1260657#post1260657

Buy a Honda and ask for Japanese rectifier. If they don't know have them find out.
From experience i can tell you that some equipment will not like a dirty sine wave. Some gas fired furnaces and mini-split AC and heat pumps won't run on them.

Keith Rhea
N60KR
Retired HVACR professional.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:22 PM

+1 for an inverter-style generator. If you're looking for lots of KVA check into a pair of Champion 3100's or the new Harbor Freight Predator models in a parallel setup. You can get two of them for less than the cost of one Honda. I have the Champion. 100's of hours so far not a hiccup. 120v only though.

FYI a normal consumer grade UPS will NOT clean up the line noise from an open frame non-inverter generator. It may trim voltage and spikes, but will not correct frequency (varies with rpm) or the harmonics. It takes a serious UPS (costing way more than a good genset) to do that.
VAF Dues paid - 2018
Old 05-17-2018, 03:59 PM

Default OPtion:

If you have a tractor, you can use a trailer mounted gen that uses the tractor output shaft. Of course, you can't use the tractor while this is in operation...

This one looks like a good unit @10KW output/42A - made in USA! Less than 5% THD.

https://www.absolutegenerators.com/w...-10-kw-515-rpm

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997