VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 AM

You asked for council:

Fly a side by side and a tandem and figure our what SHE wants. Then decide how often she's going to fly with you - then buy a Rocket. They can often be found for less money than an -8 and while not quite the financial deal that a -4 or -6 delivers, are a better "value" owing to their FAR, FAR better performance.

And as my signature suggests, I have an -8 and a Rocket and my wife is with me probably 75% of my hours flown. And 95% of that time is long cross country trips, loaded to the gills with baggage. We've done the side by side thing and my wife strongly prefers her comfortable "nest" in the back.

In the end, internet opinions are not going to make you happy - go get some seat time.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 05-20-2018, 10:18 AM

I'm a little over 5'8", 155 lbs. I've ridden a couple of 1.5 hr legs in the back of my -4, that has rudder pedals in the back and no foot wells. I'd call it a tolerable, but not pleasant experience.

Again, I love the flight characteristics of the -4. But it is a *very* limited a/c for 2 up, extended-stay cross country. The tandem vs. SBS issue is for you to decide; I've owned a Luscombe 8A (my training plane for my Private ticket), a Thorp T-18, a Globe Swift, a Bede BD-4, and a couple of RV-4s. All the purchased planes were purchased because they got the job done and were available at the time. I *chose* to build a -7, & would happily own a -6, if one became available.

Charlie
Old 05-20-2018, 11:34 AM

Like everyone else has said, only you and your wife will know what really fits
you and your mission. I looked at -4s and -6s and bought a 6A. While it may
not be a fighter style tandem aircraft, I am not a fighter pilot. So the wife and
I talked and she likes to interact while we are flying. So the -6A fit our needs
and mission. We can load both of us in, the dog(a yorkie), the cat and all the
baggage we need for a long weekend and full fuel and still cruise at 8500-10500
at 175mph drinking 8-8.5gph. Sure makes going places a lot more fun.
Trenton, SC (S17 homebase)
Happily Donated
Old 05-20-2018, 06:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's a 6 or a rocket?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's a 6 or a rocket?
Based on your original post, I think a -6, -7 or -8 is what you want, with the -6 being less expensive, that would be my choice, in your situation. Plus you can share duties while flying with a dual screen EFIS setup. Little to no room in the back of a tandem for much more than an iPad and rear rudder are limited in functionality.

I rode in the back of a -8 for 2.5 and was ready to get you. Not much room to move around @ 5'8" and ~200 lbs, for me.

You can likely buy two -6s for the price of a Rocket.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 05-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Mark,

At the risk of sounding heretical, you could consider other options. If money is a significant factor (it always is, for me), and you both are of small to medium proportions, you could also look at the Thorp T-18 and the Bushby Mustang II. Both have slightly narrower cockpits than the RV-6/7, but can be comfortable for smaller framed people. A typical Thorp will be a bit slower than an RV but not enough to justify the nearly doubled price of a -6. A Mustang might be slower, or could be quite a bit faster than a typical -6. Most examples of both are likely to be much closer to scratch built, so build quality (and potentially, flying qualities) will vary more among individual examples. Neither handle quite as well as an RV, but both are pretty close. If there are examples for sale near you, it might be worth your while to at least take a look.

Several of us here have experience in both. If you're interested, I'm sure you could get input off-list.

Charlie
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 AM

The only plane most all wives seem happy with is the RV-10. Some seen happy with the RV-14 as a second choice.

My wife got tired of sitting in the back of my RV-8A so I built an RV-10. With time however she preferred to fly in the back of the 10 curled up in a blanket. She can no longer fly so the RV-10 got sold and I fly solo in an RV-8.

If you have the cash go with the RV-10. You will be a hero with your wife and the RV-10 is Van’s best plane for all around “let’s do a long cross country with all your stuff” mission.

Carl
Old 05-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Dang you guys are whipped. I wonder how married guys ever came to own Cubs, Champs, and Pitts'. Of course my wife has a horse she rides all the time so she can't complain about what type of plane I own.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandifer View Post
Of course my wife has a horse she rides all the time so she can't complain about what type of plane I own.
Ditto! And my wife hates flying or I'd be planning to sell the -7A and building a -10.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 PM

I should add I have a share in a 172 with a 180hp and the STC for extra weight. If I need four seats and carrying capacity I can do that at 112 knots. Most of the time it's just the two of us. We made KARM to KMTH in a 150 and enough gear to attend a wedding. That's togetherness. Pretty sure the wife would think she was doing great in a 6. I guarantee you she would not be amused by the extra 100K for the 10.