What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transiting an R

Vlad

Well Known Member
The R is cold over the weekend and controlling authority doesn't mind the transition. Eastbound I go air is super smooth.

A lot of cool toys hidden in the dwarf woods.

A fully sized mockup of a Blackjack.

This looks like a Foxbat but when you fly over it you get disappointed.

The biggest heliport I've ever seen.

I wish I had a Warthog or at least a Fitter.

The mighty radarr.

That's all now back to boating...

Cool Vlad! A very target rich environment. Take Sig600 over there, and watch him drool! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Vlad,
I built the full size mock up of the B2 for the movie Broken Arrow many years ago. The film editors are amazing and can make something that has some "rough" areas look very real. Im not sure what those planes and buildings were for, but Hollywould could make them very real looking!

Not to worry, all that stuff looks real enough when viewed through a HUD at 500 knots. Good memories!

Ah yes, the Warren Grove range! Spent a lot of time flying over it, and shooting 50cal machine guns at the targets (which weren't anywhere as nice as they are now), when I was in the Marines.

I know how ridiculous it probably sounds... but I put that A-7 there with a CH-53E, as an aerial observer calling an external load, around the spring of 2000.
When I was stationed at NAS Willow Grove, my squadron was tasked to move it from where it was parked (in the grass, "below" the small parking pad by the H in your helipad/runway pic) to wherever the Range Control folks wanted it placed. We lifted it, flew around the pattern, and set it down several times for training before we decided we'd had enough. It took 3 tries to get it in place, because we kept browning out REALLY badly, plus it would start rotating in the rotor wash and not be aligned with the runway. On the final attempt, the pilots made a fast approach, and I "pickled" it from about 3ft up, before the brownout got too bad and before it had a chance to rotate too far off runway heading.

I've got pictures of the lift uploaded to the 'net, but I can't get them to display here in the forum. If anyone is interested in them, I'll try uploading them somewhere else in the next couple days.

Cool Vlad! A very target rich environment. Take Sig600 over there, and watch him drool! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Who? This guy? :D

EH33582x.jpg

Govt taught him right. On our recent ice cream run in my backyard I was trying to run from him using all my tricks. Hiding in terrain folds went IFR raised a flock of trained seagulls before him... No luck, he was still on my tail...:D

Who? This guy? :D

EH33582x.jpg

Govt taught him right. On our recent ice cream run in my backyard I was trying to run from him using all my tricks. Hiding in terrain folds went IFR raised a flock of trained seagulls before him... No luck, he was still on my tail...:D

Yep, pretty sure that's him...though I usually see that jet from the other end...through the gunsite...ahem! :D

Glad you guys are havin' fun...watch out for those seagulls...just missed a few of their large Canadian cousins on the approach into BWI today!

Cheers,
Bob

Yep, pretty sure that's him...though I usually see that jet from the other end...through the gunsite...ahem! :D

Glad you guys are havin' fun...watch out for those seagulls...just missed a few of their large Canadian cousins on the approach into BWI today!

Cheers,
Bob

Yeah well your turn circle is too freakin' small!!! :D

Vlad was doing his best Soviet low level high speed egress... pretty sure we surprised a few folks.

Jarhead, cool story! :D

I must go practice pop-up attacks now.

Yeah well your turn circle is too freakin' small!!! :D

Vlad was doing his best Soviet low level high speed egress... pretty sure we surprised a few folks.

Jarhead, cool story! :D

I must go practice pop-up attacks now.

Thought I might flush you out with that one! I think you guys are gonna have a lot of fun out there?future X/C destination! Just stay our of jail?or at lease save the cell next to ya! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Back