What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compass Correction Card

TomVal

Well Known Member
Is a compass correction card required if you have a whiskey compass installed? I notice many panels do not have the correction card installed.

Thanks,

Yes!

If you have an adjustable whiskey compass, the correction card is required.

Mel congratulated me on a "complete panel" when he did my airworthiness inspection because I actually HAD a Correction card. It wasn't filled out, as I hadn't swung the compass, but he said that wasn't necessary - having the card and holder gave me a gold star!

Hey Mel - I actually filled the card out - about a year later....when I had nothing better to do....;)

Paul

Does it matter?

I rebuilt my compass and swung it. Spot on east-west, 1 degree deviation north -south. Let's be honest here. Who can hold a heading in one of these things plus or minus 1 degree? Do I still need the card? Yea, I know the answer, It's a hypothetical question.

OK Mel...

...which FAR actually requires the card?

I can't find one, even for my certified 77 Tiger....:) It doesn't even appear as a required placard in my Maintenance Manual.

The FARs require the compass, but even the TSO for a compass (TSO-C7c)does not call out for a correction card. We have other instruments that have errors, and no correction card on the panel.

NOTE - I am not advocating no card, but with all of the ramp/DAR inspection talk, I can't find the regulatory requirement. Perhaps it's been around for so long, they just forgot to write it in...:)

NOTE 2 - I just found it for my Tiger, it's buried in the certification requirements of FAR Part 23 (23.1327 and 23.1547)
But part 23 requirements don't apply to Experimental Aircraft, do they?

Compass correlation card in EFIS?

As this correction card is not needed much anyway but recommended or required here at least, does any EFISes support to write down information there? Ok, next you are going to say that I'll need compass when EFIS is not functioning anymore -- I agree, but correlation of couple degrees is most probably my least concern at that moment.

For vfr in experimentals, no compass or magnetic direction system of any sort is needed. If someone gives you a hard time about a card, just remove the compass!

For vfr in experimentals, no compass or magnetic direction system of any sort is needed. If someone gives you a hard time about a card, just remove the compass!

Good idea. My compass is held on the roll bar brace with two tie wraps and some double sided tape. Couldn't bare to drill holes into the brace knowing one day it would be removed since I have a magnetic compass as part of my EFIS, not to mention my TruTrack gives also heading independently.

Make that "daytime VFR"! Magnetic direction indicator is required for night time.

Last edited:
In Canada a compass is required for day and night VFR with it's corresponding correction card. Both in certified and home-built aircraft.

I thought

Even for IFR it had to be a "magnetic direction indicating thingy"...I mean I don't have a compass but have EFIS and the ground track from the GPS so I'm not worried but I thought this was legal..

Am I wrong?

Frank

But in the US...

In Canada a compass is required for day and night VFR with it's corresponding correction card. Both in certified and home-built aircraft.

....where does it say the compass correction card is required for Experimentals?

Ok, I'm in the same situation. I'm getting real close to moving to the airport. I'm in the middle of doing my paper work. I called my guy at the FSDO and talked to him about a zillion things and asked him about my compass card. He said, you have to have the card in the plane, doesn't need to be filed out. You can tape it to the panel, put it in the glove box, something. Just need the card somewhere in the plane. Hope this helps.

The first year we took the 10 to Oshkosh the judges asked where our fire extinguisher was and then asked to see the compass card. Maybe thats why we didn't get a gold star or whatever it's called. Keep those two items in mind if you plan to have your plane judged at Oshkosh.

On a bit of a side note.... my wet compass is quite a bit off from what it should be (like 10 degrees in some orientations). I understand that there should be some compensating magnets in there somewhere that can be shifted around to make the thing read closer to correct. Anyone have a source of information on how to mess with these compensating magnets other than just random tweaking?

thanks,
greg

Retraction, No compass card!

After very exhaustive research, I have not been able to come with a regulation requiring a compass card for experimental aircraft. I therefore retract my previous statement.
Now, you should be aware that an inspector can require one if he/she feels that it is necessary. From this point forward, unless otherwise directed by the Feds, I will not require a compass card in an experimental aircraft.

Need for a whiskey compass

Mel,
I'm sure this has been kicked around before (hopefully not to the extent that the horse is dead) but I was wondering how you look at the need for a whiskey compass if a magnetometer is used in conjunction with an EFIS? I am getting differing opinions as I draw near to finishing up my panel.
Thanks,
Dan

No whiskey compass required per se.

Mel,
I'm sure this has been kicked around before (hopefully not to the extent that the horse is dead) but I was wondering how you look at the need for a whiskey compass if a magnetometer is used in conjunction with an EFIS? I am getting differing opinions as I draw near to finishing up my panel.
Thanks,
Dan
For compass requirement; FAR part 91.205 does not apply to experimental aircraft (i.e. nothing is required for daytime VFR) except as noted in your operating limitations for night and/or IFR. For night and/or IFR in accordance with 91.205, you must have a magnetic direction indicator. The magnetometer in conjunction with an EFIS meet this requirement.

Last edited:
Dan,

I'm not Mel and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but...

On an earlier thread on this same subject, I mentioned that I temporality velcroed a compass to my glair shield and as soon as the inspector left I removed it.

Just my opinion,

I think if you are day VFR and buzzing around town for 20 minutes at a time do a couple of rolls and go home you don't need a compass. But if if you are leaping continents and oceans in a single bound, you might want to think twice about not having one. I know what the rules say. But what do you say when the alt/battery die and there you are? No fancy gadgets left just the sun or stars looking at you? And on a 50-120,000 dollar aircraft, what is 75 bucks for a little bit if insurance?

EXACTLY!!!

Just my opinion,

I think if you are day VFR and buzzing around town for 20 minutes at a time do a couple of rolls and go home you don't need a compass. But if if you are leaping continents and oceans in a single bound, you might want to think twice about not having one. I know what the rules say. But what do you say when the alt/battery die and there you are? No fancy gadgets left just the sun or stars looking at you? And on a 50-120,000 dollar aircraft, what is 75 bucks for a little bit if insurance?
Craig is correct. We are talking the MINIMUM requirements, not necessarily what is prudent.

Just my opinion,

... I know what the rules say. But what do you say when the alt/battery die and there you are? No fancy gadgets left just the sun or stars looking at you? And on a 50-120,000 dollar aircraft, what is 75 bucks for a little bit if insurance?
Craig,

Good point but that is why many of the EFIS manufactures offer backup batteries. Also, many of us fly with handheld GPS units, which also contain a battery.

In my installation, should the alt/battery die, I still have a few hours of power in both of those units to find my way safely to my destination.

Remember, whiskey compasses can leak, rendering them inop.

Which brings up an interesting point, how many of us could actually find our way home with just a compass as a nav tool? I suspect not very many.

Craig,

Good point but that is why many of the EFIS manufactures offer backup batteries. Also, many of us fly with handheld GPS units, which also contain a battery.

In my installation, should the alt/battery die, I still have a few hours of power in both of those units to find my way safely to my destination.

Remember, whiskey compasses can leak, rendering them inop.

Which brings up an interesting point, how many of us could actually find our way home with just a compass as a nav tool? I suspect not very many.

Oh heck, just drop down low and read the road signs.

I'm thinking of John Wayne & "Island in the sky". I'd probably run out of fuel first........too! :eek:

L.Adamson

Compass not needed

Mel and others,
Thanks for the replys. I can certainly see the wisdom in having a whiskey compass if the only magnetic indicator was your EFIS. My personal set up will be an EFIS, a Garmin 396, and a Garmin 295. If all three of those go south I will certainly take the advice of dropping down to read the street signs :>)
Dan

Back