What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Learning tailwheel in an RV-6

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
I'm considering buying an RV-6, but I don't have any tailwheel experience. I've heard the RVs are fairly tame as far as tailwheel aircraft are concerned, but would learning tailwheel while transitioning into an RV be too much at once?

It will very much depend on the individual. But I can tell you that the guy who built my -4 learned to fly in it after he built it.

I transitioned from nose to tailwheel while still a student; from C-150 to Luscombe 8A. I transitioned from the Luscombe to a Thorp T-18. The Thorp was noticeably easier to handle. I say this to say that a higher performance taildragger can be easier to handle than something like a Cub or other very light traditional taildragger, because it isn't kicked around in the wind as much.

Downside for training is that the landing gear might not be quite as rugged as a certified taildragger built for training.

Just my opinion; worth what you paid. :)

Charlie

Go for it, a good instructor with lots of tail wheel time can you in the game no problem. I just recently transitioned to my RV7 from my Aeronca Champ. Granted most of my time is in tailwheel aircraft but the RV design in my opinion is more forgiving than most. I found it more stable than my Champ which was a cream puff.

Appreciate the input! Insurance is going to require what I figured was more than enough time before flying it solo (15 hrs).

I bought a 7 with 0 tailwheel time. I have about 1000 hours of mostly T210 time. I had no issues getting my tailwheel endorsement in the 7. I had a great transition instructor that I would be happy to pass his info along if needed? Love flying the tailwheel!

TW time

I was building a 7 with no TW time...about 400 hrs in 150/172's. Figured I better learn TW for when the 7 was finished.

Couldn't find any transition training here in the Great White North so I did 20 hrs in a 150hp Supercub and 10 in a 7CKAB Citabria. I then flew Commercial to pick up my new to me 4 and flew it 1500nm home after a 20 minute test flight. Put 450 hrs on it in 4 years while finishing the 7.

I notice in the US there are a number of transition trainers you could use. If you choose not to, either the Supercub or Citabria will teach you enough to fly the 6 IMHO.

Good luck!
Al

I got my tailwheel endorsement and did a tail wheel transition course. I flew 10 hours of dual in an RV-6 and my insurance rate was lowered a lot. Good luck.

I got my tailwheel endorsement in my RV-6.

Had fun and glad I did it.

v/r,
dr

Twe

Do it..I learned and got my TWE originally when I took a Pitts S2B in trade. You will be a much better pilot since YAW will not be a subject you read in books any longer.

It's not rocket science. If you don't already know what to do with your feet (and you should!), you will after the tailwheel transition.

One of my first checkouts, post-PPL many years ago, was in the Citabria during a basic aerobatics course. This was right before the endorsement requirement was added to the rulebook, so I was grandfathered in on the tailwheel front. Years later (having continued to fly the Citabria/Decathlon series), I had no trouble training in the -6 with Mike Seager or flying my -8.

After a fair number of hours flying and teaching in larger, more powerful tailwheel airplanes (chiefly the T-6) over the years, I can assure you that the RVs are creampuffs with no bad habits. Give it a try; you'll love it!

I went old school...

I did my primary with about 15 hrs in Tricycles and the rest tailwheel. I had About 60hrs in a Pacer before I bought the RV6...it?s way tamer than the Pacer, but keeps me alert. My worst groundwork in the -6 is better than some of my best in the Pacer. Do it! I?m still a rookie...about 210TT, but wouldn?t trade my RV for anything...except maybe an -9 :)

As those mention, you certainly can as many have. However, you will come away with better stick and rudder skills if you get some time in a Champ, Pacer, etc....
RV?s don?t require advanced tailwheel skill sets, until they do.... You don?t even need rudder until your faced with a nasty cross wind and don?t have a choice, or correct control input until you need to taxi in a 30kt wind.
I flew antique tailwheel airplanes for many years. I transitioned to my 6 with Mike Seager in the factory 7 In one hour with three landings. (I probably got some ?cred? when I showed up with my Bucker ;))
Insurance requirements must have changed as I didn?t need anymore time in type so that may enter into your thought process.

Just because RV?s are ?easy? tailwheel airplanes doesn?t mean you can?t get into trouble although you rarely hear about ground loops outside of the 8. Still, training in the old tailwheel airplanes is a joy, challenging, and you will learn some good habits out of necessity, things an average pilot can get away with in an RV won?t be tolerated. You will transition into your RV with more confidence.

Back