What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twisted pair for power

jasman45

Is there an issue with using a twisted pair for power? I am wiring a 430W and it requires two 22 gauge power wires. I have a bunch of twisted pair wire left over and want to use it for power and ground. This won't create some crazy electromagnetic resonance issues (I obviously don't have a clue here) will it?

Thanks,
Brian

A twisted pair shouldn't create any noise. It might just help to prevent it.

Is this stranded or solid wire? Solid wire might be prone to work hardening and breakage if it is subjected to vibrations like those in a typical aircraft installation. I've used it in limited places (like trim servo wiring), but it isn't a good practice.

Don

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. Just to clarify, I would be using one twisted pair for the power and a separate twisted pair for the ground. So both power wires are twisted together and both ground wires are twisted together. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post.

Better option is to use each twisted pair for power/ground. The reason pairs are twisted for signal/data use (still an out/return) is that it helps cancel any induced noise. It is possible (though more difficult) to induce noise onto a power wire, so if you've got 'em, use the advantage.

Back