What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip light lens

rrburton

I'm New Here
Does anyone know where I can get a lens for the old LN AT tip light kit that Vans sold for the RV-6 flat-top wingtip? Right side.

Does anyone know where I can get a lens for the old LN AT tip light kit that Vans sold for the RV-6 flat-top wingtip? Right side.

They sold two sizes - was this the large size or the smaller size?

Does the lens look like the one below? If so, I don't think they sell them any longer.

9681034201_8f52376fbe.jpg

Wingtip lens

It's the one pictured (large). I have talked with Vans purchasing agent who gave me the name and number of the gentleman who supplied the light kit back in the day but "no joy". I am now checking with aircraft salvage yards.
Thanks for the interest.

I hope you can find one. If not, you can make it pretty easily in your oven. Making the slump mold is the most challenging part, but once you have that done, you could crank out as many as you want in short order. Hey, maybe there is a market for them?

Wingtip lens for RV4 flat top wingtips

I guess there is nothing new out there regarding availability of the small lens covers for the WD 415 wingtips, but in case someone has located a source, please let me know. They were advertised as late as the 2015/2016 Vans catalog. They called them the Simple Wingtip Lens Kit. I am just looking for the lens covers. Thanks

If you have most of the pieces for a damaged one, or a one scratched up, an aircraft windshield shop can use it as a mold to make a replacement.

I noticed what appears to be LED lights located around the port for the landing light. Are these LED lights? Do they enhance the landing light brightness? Looks interesting and more information would be welcome.

VA-148 wingtip lens

It's the one pictured (large). I have talked with Vans purchasing agent who gave me the name and number of the gentleman who supplied the light kit back in the day but "no joy". I am now checking with aircraft salvage yards.
Thanks for the interest.

They were made by Sound Manufacturing, Inc Washington. They have the tooling and have been release by Vans to use tooling but won?t sell to individuals. I cannot be the only one with old crazed wingtip lenses? Vans recently told me ?tough luck? which I also don?t understand.

They're back!

Hey folks, just wanted to let you know that we managed to get a run of these made by the folks that have the tooling for it. Should be the exact same part that Van's was putting out.

There was some discussion about material. These are polycarbonate, according to the manufacturer.

You can find them and order on our site here: https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/7221.htm

Back