What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safe to drill?

BH1166

Well Known Member
I did not build my plane. I purchased documentation from Vans in an effort to learn and answer my questions. Still not comfortable in drilling holes willy nilly , so I thought I would ask.

There is a gusset looking, triangle like flat area on each side at the panel (longeron maybe). Is it safe to drill two 1/8" holes for a RAM brand 1" ball for holding iPad mount. I am speaking of drilling the horizontal surface area.

I read, I search and I lurked before. Today is my first question to the group.

Thanks
Butch

I'll take a stab at it

Butch,

good question to ask. I built my 6A 20 years ago, and I think I know the exact metal you speak of - gussets between the top longerons and the forward sub-panel. I went beyond drilling holes and actually notched these for ease of instrument panel removal. I don't recall if the plans called for that. I have no gut check that a few smallish 1/8" holes would compromise anything in that area as long as edge distances were respected. More to the point is what type of force you will apply to the part via what you plan to affix to it. Tablets/iPads on RAM mounts aren't much of a load, in my opinion.

No one can answer this confidently without pictures or actually standing there looking at it, and even then we're not the designer/engineer who can speak gospel. All you could hope to collect here are some anecdotes of what others have gotten away with, some That Looks About Right advice, or some hysteria that the plane will fall out of the sky if a drill bit gets near the part. You may get all three :D

How about trying to post a pic or two of what you're asking about.

Is this what you are looking at? If so many have done this.

ot9.jpg

Back