What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel flow mter installation

Graham

I am building an RV6 but firewall fwd it is the same as an RV7.

I am planning the instn of a "Red Cube" fuel flow meter (to input to my Dynon D120), and would like info on similar instns. I have the PS680 Odyssey battery mounted on the firewll RH side (looking fwd), & the andair gascolator. Planning on mtg a bracket off the battey box and mtg the flometer on that but space is marginal due to eng mount cross tube.

All advice highly appreciated.
Thanks
Graham
New Zealand

There may be nothing really wrong with that. But, just on general principle, I wouldn't hang a fuel component on a battery box (bad form).

I talked with the factory before mounting my red cube. They preferred it on top of the engine with a straight flow in and a straight flow out. They said the vibration will not be an issue. I have an IO360 M1B and it was quite easy to mount. I got a bracket exactly like the fuel spider mount for the injection and put it on the other side. You can make on or buy one from Lycoming. The one is offset from the other in the forward aft direction and they are on either side of the centerline. I also have a top plenum for the cooling air and it fits quite comfortably.
If you need pictures, send me a note and I will take some.
There are other discussions on this subject if you search for them.

Jay, I too am installing all my sensors prior to the engine install hopefully next month. How did you wind up installing the red cube...any pictures?

The only caution that I have noted on the paperwork is that you have no downward hoses from the cube.. I don't have the engine yet but my thoughts are with the engine driven fuel pump about mid point on the motor mounts a lower setting would be preferred. I am at a little loss here

Smilin' Jack

Back