What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgrading Wingtip Lighting?

BlakeB

Well Known Member
Guys,

I bought my RV6 with these wingtip lights. I would like to upgrade to brighter lights and a lower draw. Any advise on the easiest/best route. I?m not a builder. 🙃

280lgu8.jpg
[/IMG]

AeroLeds

AeroLeds has a variety of wingtip lighting suitable for RVs, including landing/taxi lights. I just upgraded a duckworks 55w halogen fixture to an AeroLed PAR-36 LED bulb. Took about two hours to modify the mount and install. Take a look at the Aerosun Vx which may be the least "builder-needed" upgrade for your plane.

I have had top service from AeroLeds company, including one instant replacement for a landing gear LED light installation that I did on an earlier plane. Their technical advice is super. Most importantly though, the products are as-advertised, durable, and available.

Last edited:
You should check out our new Aerosun MX lights, they are modular and can easily replace those MR bulbs you have. Our Pulsar NS will replace the position/strobe lights and don't require a power supply (you pull the strobe power pack out of the plane and save some weight). http://aeroleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Datasheet_01-1280-B-12_Pulsar-NS_Rev_A.pdf

http://aeroleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Datasheet_01-2800_Aerosun-MX_RevIR.pdf

If that is a W-715-1 wingtip, then your other option would be the Aerosun Vx: http://aeroleds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Datasheet_01-2500_Aerosun-Vx_RevC.pdf

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC

Last edited:
I have the same set up have you done any night landings with them ? I have not

Only once and it seems okay. My goal is to get the draw down & bee seen!!!
. It pulls a lot when I have my stobes, Nav, & Landing lights on.

a place for the MX

Wish someone (Hi Ron!) could come up with a housing/fairing for the (AeroLEDS <-- shameless insertion of search term) MX that would conform (or readily conformable) to the landing gear/wing junction.

ive got the flyleds lights. love them! great price and performance.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I highly recommend taking a look at Fly LED's kit for your lights. It's a kit that you assemble yourself. They are extraordinarily bright, fun and easy to put together, and you'll save a ton of money in the process, too. Here's a link to their website:

http://flyleds.com/

If you're talking landing lights, there are plenty of people installing the Baja Squadron Pro. The latest version is 4900 lumen a side, at 42W if I remember correctly. They really are weapons grade brightness for their size and current draw and should be more than adequate for that unplanned off-field landing at night. You just need to unscrew the existing faceplate (four screws), then fab up your own faceplate with three attachment screws to the tip mounting points. Adjusting two of these will allow you to vary your light angle. They work great with the filled skinny board, reportedly produce no radio noise, and from my perspective are our best solution until Flyled produces their own landing light to go with the skinny board...
Below is a link to another thread covering Squadron Pro installations.
Tom.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=105248

ndjvyv.jpg

2ilhuv8.jpg

Sure.

There are a number of lights you can put in place of the ones you have installed now. The ones you have are the style that is used in the RV-10 light kit from Van's. We Have them in our RV-8 wing tips some what like you have them. There is one change that we did to make them cooler and draw less juice. If you look around the web you can find an "L.E.D." replacement for the stock Halide bulbs you have in the Van's RV-10 kits. I think they were 12-16 bucks or so. The strobes we changed to the new "L.E.D." Wheelen style.
Just what we did. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

I can't make LED's work

Too much noise, tried several MR16 brands, local and common grounding, magnet noise loops.

There are a number of lights you can put in place of the ones you have installed now. The ones you have are the style that is used in the RV-10 light kit from Van's. We Have them in our RV-8 wing tips some what like you have them. There is one change that we did to make them cooler and draw less juice. If you look around the web you can find an "L.E.D." replacement for the stock Halide bulbs you have in the Van's RV-10 kits. I think they were 12-16 bucks or so. The strobes we changed to the new "L.E.D." Wheelen style.
Just what we did. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Thanks Robert! I might try your route first. Sounds like the easiest option for now.

I just ordered a set of ZipTips from Aveo engineering. I'm expecting them in any day now, I'll post up when I have them on the plane.

Another AeroLed fan here, I have the full set on my own aircraft and have installed quite a few, never any problems, work as advertised and great company to do business with.

Anyone have the AeroLED Aerosun VX in an RV 10?
Did you go with the Pulsar NS90 and factory -10 Lens and the mount kit for -10?
Please comment as my kit is here and want to delete (before they ship) the NS180 that Vans sells. I have it included in my order but saw the VX in Sun&Fun and like it.

Back