What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Silverhawk Mixture Linkage

Chopkins

Hi All

I popped over today to visit a friend who is building an RV7. While I was there, we had a look at the Mixture linkage. As a lot of other people have found, the Silverhawk linkages either have no offset or a 0.938 offset. With the 0.938 offset, the linkage fouls the lower cowl. Looking at it, the ideal thing to do would be to use the zero offset 252004 linkage and space it out from the injection unit by circa 1/8" so the it does not foul the mixture stop screw on the side of the injection assy.

Does anyone know if I could get hold of a spacer like the one I have mocked up here? Or does anyone know of another arm that has less offset than 0.938? If no the above, are the serrations on the linkage a US standard? ie could I get a standard serrated spacer and marry it up with the linkage?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Anthony
G-RVTW
Birmingham, England

My memory tells me that on a few we just exchanged the throttle (offset) and mixture arm (straight) with each other and the mixture lever, now offset, goes up so to work with Vans bell crank, no memory of it interfering with the cowling? The off set arm for mixture is necessary if you use the NL starter BTW

Larry
http://www.precisionairmotive.com/silver_hawk_ex.htm

Thanks Larry,

The straight arm would be perfect but will foul the screw that is used to control the throw of the mixture arm. That's why we thought that if we could space it out slightly, it would be fine.

Anthony

I think there are two different scenarios here.

On the horizontal induction that uses the "linkage" for mixture on a Silverhawk servo, there is no way for there to be a lower cowl interferance. The whole assembly is just too far away from the cowl. Like Larco said, in some cases you have to adjust for starter clearance.

On an engine with VERTICAL induction, however, there are numerous cases of actuator arm interference with the vertical filtered air box (FAB). Even in this case, I am having a hard time visualizing how there could be cowl interferance.

I suggest a search for FAB interferance and you should get a good number of hits with plenty of knowledge to share.

Last edited:
Manufacturer

Contact them - they have other parts that may work. They traded me for the one I needed at no charge.

Back