What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

% Point Rotary Buckle harnesses

Graham

Folks,

I am trying to decide on which 5 point rotary buckle harness to install in my near completed RV6.

Can those who have installed this type of harnesses in their RV6 please advise what make/model of harness they used, approx price, and any relevant comments on their experience.

Thank You
Graham Murphy
New Zealand

One data point:
I have CROW 5 point harnesses with rotary buckle in my T-18, the wife has the pull over cam military type 5 point in the RV-4 and I have VANs offering in the RV-8.
The CROW rotary is our favorite.

Love my Crow rotary buckle.

Ordered online, standard RV-6 set. Belts arrived two days later, and are perfect.

Satisfied customer.

Here's another satisfied Crow customer - have them in the RV-8 and the RV-3. Very secure, easy operation.

Two and a half years ago I got a couple of Hookers at Sun N Fun for only $800. They feel good and release is easy.:D

Don

5 pt Schroth belts and Hooker belts

Good day, I have a pair of Schroth rotary buckle 5 pts in my RV-6, nice belts, smooth operation but quite expensive, I don't think they are selling retail except to aviation manufacturers anymore, couldn't even find aviation prices online. I also have a 5 pt Hooker harness in my RV-3, the normal car style buckle. As well I have used the 4 pt Hooker harness in a Super Decathlon, lever style, and I much prefer the rotary buckle system rather than either the buckle or lever style. It is just a much more positive engagement and smoother release. The Crow harness with rotary buckle looks like a very good value for the price, although I have not used them.

Belts

Ordered a set of Toyota racing 5 point cam lock 3" wide belts off amazon web site for 2 seats $97 w/ shipping Im sure there not as good as Crow but good enough for safety in my RV6 if I did it again I would order 2" wide.
Bob

Harnesses

Wow

I never met so many people who been a given a hooker for Chistmas!!!!

more seriouly thanks team for your most useful feedack on harnesses (not hookers)

Thank you
Graham

Harness

I got a Hooker Harness set for both cockpits on Barnstormers.com It was actually for a helicopter and didn't have the right kind of attachment fittings and the correct length for an RV. My wife didn't even mind when I called a "Hooker" to find out how to make it work in the "positions" I wanted. Hooker said no problem so I bought the whole set ($200), sent it to Hooker ($100) and it fit perfectly in the exact gray color combo I wanted. Not a bad price so keep looking at all the popular websites, including EBay.

I tried out the rotary style buckle but decided against it for safety reasons. Yeah I know you guys are thinking this guy is a nut. If you ever find yourself upside down hanging from your harness in the trees you will realize that you are sure glad you have the 'lever' style that can be easily opened with one finger (don't ask me how I know). In probably 90% of the time the rotary style buckles are just fine. But if you have your whole body pushing against the belts or if you are injured, the rotary style buckle may present you with some unique challenges getting out of the airplane especially if it is time critical (like a fire perhaps).

Just my 2 cents,
Oly

Last edited:
An interesting feature of the Schroth rotary buckles dealt with both problems brought up by Oly. They have a 45 degree prerotation required before beginning to release the belts, and a certified maximum force to release the belts with a 300 lb load on them of 8 oz. Simpson now has a buckle with similar features.

I have tested the military lever buckles with 300 lb on them and it takes around 20 lbs to release them. In addition there are documented incidents of the lever being caught by sleeves and inadvertently opened in flight. I had one of those incidents while rolling a glider.

thread drift...in a good way

ok, I HAVE to caution against buying hookers on eBay, but that's another story....

the choice of release systems is important....I'm sure most of us, who have used the release a hundred times, are likely to get it after a second or two, even if we try to pull instead of twist, or turn the wrong way etc.

...waaaaaaaaaay more important is; post crash, you are unconscious, or already bailing out your side....can you passenger get it right , the first time, unassisted.
I think that's the acid test.

perhaps preflight should include this simulation;
" okay passenger, close your eyes. Now open the canopy, remove your headset and 'throw' it in the back, so you are clear of the wires, and release your seat belt harness."

Back