What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermittent flaps

stevepattinson

I'm New Here
I have a 3 stage flap actuator and every now and again my flaps will not work. Dont know whether its the flap switch or motor. Has anyone had similar problems??

Flakey flaps

How many times have I cleaned the flap motor, let me count the ways.
It is not likely your switch, but check the connections, simple.
Next remove the side cover exposing the flap motor. Remove the upper and lower screws holding motor in place. Next remove the two black screws holding the motor only in place. Dissasemble the motor according to the instructions on Van's website. The next is the most important step. Completely remove the motor from the case backing out the phillips screws. Througly clean the case with Alcohol and let it dry. Also dip the windings in the same to clean the motor. Let this dry. Then clean the brushes with q-tip swabs and alcohol. You can also take 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the place where the brushes meet the motor to get it to shine again if needed but do this carefully. Follow the directions and this should take about 15-20 minutes max. Reinstall and wait for the grease to build up again and repeat the process. You should also take a swab and clean the excess grease from the screw drive and this should prolong the buildup. I have had from 5-25 hours between removal and cleaning.
Luck
Tad "Stripes" Sargent
7A 180 hours

My flaps have never failed. Going on 14 years now. I just push the little button and lift the bar and the flaps go down.

stevepattinson said:
I have a 3 stage flap actuator and every now and again my flaps will not work. Dont know whether its the flap switch or motor. Has anyone had similar problems??

Steve, the short answer is YES.

Go to Vans web site and click on Builder FAQ's. There you will find a pdf down load titled flap motor maintenance. I had to replace my motor because it had too much internal grease, and it was getting up into the motor contacts. That's what caused the intermittant operation.

dd

tadsargent said:
You can also take 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the place where the brushes meet the motor to get it to shine again if needed but do this carefully. Luck
Tad "Stripes" Sargent
7A 180 hours

Hi Tad,
That's called the commutator and if you do sand it a little to shine it up, take a toothpick and run it between the copper segments to clean out any carbon and copper residue or they could be shorted out. ;) Used to build/race slot cars.... :p
Yes, mine quit working today but a little tap near the motor attach bolt with a trusty Home Depot Aviation Dept phillips screwdriver convinced it to work again..(for now) :D
Cheers,

Hi folks, I am new to the site and I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not.
I have purchased an RV6 already flying with manual flaps and due to my size I would like to go to electrics. My question is: Is there a place to purchase the worm gear and motor without paying the $400.00 for the Van's equipment?
I noticed that you guys have found the motor for $65.00 to $75.00, but I have not seen the worm gear setup written about.

Thanks is advance.
also I have a Pitts S1S for sale now that I have the RV
Perry
(Illinois)

Hey Perry! As luck would have it (for you), I am planning on putting manual flaps in my -7. My fuselage kit will be here next Wednesday or so, and I just live over in Normal. I'm assuming the flap motor and stuff comes with the fuselage kit (not sure though)...I'd be willing to work a deal with ya!

My cell is tree zero niner, fife tree two, fower tree fower seven :D

I'd love to see that -6 you just bought!! I work at Image Air at BMI, so I'm at the airport everyday (unless I'm on a trip like today...)

Vans Flap Motor. Clean or Replace?

My flap motor in RV-7A stopped working today March 2021. It has only 86 TT. I opened it and it is full of black stuff. I see Van's writeup about cleaning it. Is it worth it or should I buy a new Van's motor or a new other flap motor. I don't want to remove and clean this every 100 hours or at every annual.

Have those of you who have cleaned it had recurring problems or does one good cleaning solve it?

Does the PH Aviation Services similar flap motor have issues?

thanks for your knowledge.

My flap motor in RV-7A stopped working today March 2021. It has only 86 TT. I opened it and it is full of black stuff. I see Van's writeup about cleaning it. Is it worth it or should I buy a new Van's motor or a new other flap motor. I don't want to remove and clean this every 100 hours or at every annual.

Have those of you who have cleaned it had recurring problems or does one good cleaning solve it?

Does the PH Aviation Services similar flap motor have issues?

thanks for your knowledge.

I remember way back when my RV-8 was sort of new (I probably put 600 hours on it in two years), and had to take the assembly apart to clean it once. I bought a couple of spare monitors from a source that is long since gone - just so I’d have them as spares. I have never used them, or opened the motor assembly again in another 1400 hours and 13 years. Just one data point.

Louise’s RV-6 has a little over 4,000 hours on the airframe - if the motor was cleaned before she owned it, I wouldn’t know - but we have never taken it apart in more than a decade that I’ve helped her take care of the airplane. Two data points.

Paul

Cleaning the Van's Flap Motor

Thanks Paul
I just took my flap motor apart per Van's instructions
https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/flap_motor.pdf

Holy Cow! It was full of grease at the brushes, armature and down thru the magnets and into the screw gear. No wonder it has never worked right. I thoroughly cleaned it and now it really works. Faster than before. Immediate start. And it is all grease free, clean and dry. It is very different now then before cleaning. Who would have known the brushers appear to copper colored, they were so black. And there are slits between the plates on the armature. Couldn't even see them it was soooo full of ****. I think it will work a lot longer time now. I wasn't going to reinstall this, but now I am. Besides $500 bucks is real money. No need for another motor unless this one strikes out. So far, just one strike. And looking clean and nice for the future.

Back