What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filter Bypass Door Installation

Graham

Folks,

I am abou to fit the VANS Bypass door instn on the lower surface of my FAB-320 on my RV6 with an 0-320-D1A engine.

The instructions are written around retrofitting, i.e. removing the old bypass door & fitting the new one and no dimensions are given for locating the new door fore/aft except that 0-320 users are advised to "place the door a far fwd as possible".

Can anybody advise me whereabuts they placed the door fore/aft? I would have thought that directly under the carb throat would be best. Does the proximity of any other items affect the door fore/aft location?

As usual a photo is worth a thousand words.

Thanks
Graham
New Zealand

I don't recall the note about placing the door as far forward as possible, except for on the carb heat door, but I could be wrong. I think one of the main points of the location of the bypass door on the bottom of the FAB is that it is within the center of the circular air filter. If you open this gate, i think the intent is to bypass a clogged intake or filter. heres my recent post in the door:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=108370

On my O-360, -6A, I placed the door in the middle of the FAB box, directly under the carb. The screw that attaches to the Bowden cable did not clear the bottom cowl. I needed to shave off a couple of threads to keep the operational path of the attached screw from contacting the bottom cowl.

It may be that locating the door as far forward as functionally possible will give more clearance between the FAB Bypass Door and the bottom cowl.

Back