What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Fuel Tank

VCMaine

I recently acquired an RV-3A completed in 1992. Flew it home to NH from Phoenix during the March windy weather. 5 days enroute bucking the weather. Great trip. I love the plane. First condition check reveals the fuel tank baffle is loose, at least at the top. It is a longitudinal vertical baffle that divides the tank into two, left and right, keeping the fuel gage float and the floppy intake tube separated. I can't tell from the Vans drawing how and where the baffle is supposed to be secured to the tank wall. Is it normal for the baffle to be loose at the top, or do I need to worry? Can anyone enlighten me?

fuel tank

Same thing with my tank, What I did was drill a 3/16th hole in the tank and flange on the baffle, place a 3/16 inch pop rivet in and have welding shop weld over the rivet. I also drilled only the tank between the original spot welds and welded the flange to the tank hole, Rosette style. I had to do this on three spot welds as if you let this go it will break all loose ( I believe anyway).

Good luck on what ever you do.

Perry

Back