What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much angle will be left over?

Z-EDD

Well Known Member
I have about a 10 foot length of the thick .125 3/4x3/4 angle. I used some for F-711D, but it's difficult to see just how much more of this will be used. Can I afford to cut off 3 feet or so to practice using my longeron bending dies?

Thanks!

I wouldn't

It's been a long time since i did my longerons but I didn't end up with 3' left when I finished.

I had two EXTRA lengths and it all got used for stuff like, arm rest reinforcement, I used .125 on top of seat backs for extra strength, ADHRS brackets ect....I used the dies also, I think I went 1/2 turn per inch on the vice and worked out good ;-)

Ah yes, the seat backs, I hadn't spotted those! Actually looks like most of what I have will go there, thanks Brett. I'll just have to go ahead on the longerons without any practice.

Longerons

Ah yes, the seat backs, I hadn't spotted those! Actually looks like most of what I have will go there, thanks Brett. I'll just have to go ahead on the longerons without any practice.

You don't need the practice. They work great.
Put a strip of electrical tape (not black) along the two sides where the dies where the die faces work. Make all your dimenson marks then mark ever 1" along the bend area. Mark the dies at center as well. Apply a thin layer of Lubriplate to the faces of the dies and the edge of the longeron so parts can move freely.
Start with the end of the die at the starting point. Tighten the vice till resistance is firm then 1/4-1/2 turn. Do the same for every inch. Remove and compare to the template. Fine tune areas as needed till it matches the Aft Canopy Deck. You may have to move the die past the starting point to get the curve perfect. The template is good but the curve has to fit the Aft Canopy Deck. Better to go slow and creep up on the shape. It's not as easy to unbend.
The forward bend/twist is an old fashioned hammer and mescle bend but watch for twist in the wrong direction. The angle naturally twists when it is bent.

Back