What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hour meter and oil pressure switch

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
I have an hour meter and pressure switch to keep track of engine time. I have no wiring or installation instructions. Can someone give me the instructions to wire it ? The oil switch has three poles, C, NO, NC
The meter has two poles.
Anybody do this before?
Thanks
Mike

NO - normally open
NC - normally closed
C - Common

Think of it as a switch in the circuit. One way to wire it would be + (from battery or bus thru fuse/CB) to "C"; from NO to "hobbs +" then from hobbs - to ground.

If you ground the "C" terminal of the switch, then you can wire power (through a suitable fuse or breaker) to the hobbs meter then to the "NO" terminal on the pressure switch, and then also power (again, fuse/breaker) to a "Low Oil Pressure" light on your panel then to the the "NC" terminal on the pressure switch.

When the engine is making oil pressure, the hobbs meter will run. Then when there's either no oil pressure or the engine is stopped, you will have a big red light on the panel staring you in the face alerting you of an emergency or reminding you to turn off the master switch.

Back