What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bars loose on spar passthrough bulkhead .. ok ?!?

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I already dispatched a priority message to the mothership, but I wonder if any of you had this experience:

I started to assemble my F-704 bulkhead on my -7 (this is the bulkhead that receives the spars from the wings), and I just unbagged the F704E and F main bulkhead members that were sent with the spars; I found both 3/4" bars on F-704F are loose on the web. All the monster rivets look good, but I can wiggle both bars and found they make a distinct "click" at the end of their travel. Caliper measurements show something like a 10 mil motion per bar.

Anyone else experience this? It this a way of getting a little play in the system so the wing bolts will go in, or a manufacturing failure? Lots of big (size 6?) rivets there. I'd love to see that squeezer!

Last edited:
Loose bars = bad

Hi Folks ... FYI: after a bit of interchange with the Mothership, they are going to replace my F-704x components that came with the spars with the wing kit. The looseness of the the bars I found on my F-704F assembly is not normal. I'm not sure how everything will fit with a different center section given that the spars and center section are drilled/reamed as a unit, but loose bars are not what Van ordered.

They are gonna replace free of charge, which is awesome. I hope to learn why my first set was bad in the first place. Shop heads look great; I was super surprised that any motion would be possible.

Builders: check the bars on your center section bulkheads to be sure all is tight.

Glad you caught that and they are handling. After re-looking at mine, (which is for a 9), I don't believe I have the same looseness you describe, thankfully. What I was referring to was gap between the bar and web at the very ends of the section, where there are no rivets, and the spar bolts will hold everything together. There is no wiggle in the bar where the rivets are located.

Chris

Last edited:
7,8,9 Are Jig drilled

With the start of the 8,9,7. All spar components are Jig drilled. Damaged part replacement is the reason.So mix and match should not be an issue.There is an sb on the side bars as some were not installed,this is the first I've heard of loose bars. I guess you could tighten them up with a 4x gun,but its nice to see Vans step up and replace them.
RHill

Hey Bill

First let me say that you live in one Calif. most beautiful places.

Can I ask how old you wing kit is? Just wondering as quality problems usually run for a while until found and corrected.

But I will definitely be check mine tomorrow!

Cheers

My wing kit is about a year old, at least to me (received June 2013).. the serial number on the spars/center section is 73287. It looks like I'm going to get a replacement F-704 center section, SN 73382, all 8 pieces.

Sterling at Van's says that if this was an RV-4, it would be a problem fit wise. All the later models have compatible center sections and spars ... mixing and matching should be fine. (we'll see). Van's has been great about the whole thing. Hopefully, they will share what they found once my parts get back and they can look at it. Hard to believe 20+ big rivets were looose!

Back