What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked Upper Engine Mount Bracket

It appears I might have a big problem. As I was mounting the firewall and clamping the upper engine mount brackets to the longerons, I noticed both brackets have split at the vertex. It seems odd because I noticed before I clamped them to the longerons that I had the downward bend and twist of the longerons just right so that the brackets nest perfectly. Has anyone else seen this happen? Would this affect the structural integrity of the airplane? It seems to me that once the fingers of the bracket are securely fastened to the longerons, that is where the real strength is, but I'm not sure. I'll be calling Vans on Monday but thought I would ask you all. Thanks.

If you're talking about the 4 mounts that go at the inside corners to tie the longerons to the firewall, they come that way on some (all?) kits.

Last edited:
Bracket flanges

Yes, Kyle, I am referring to the 2 upper engine mount brackets that are attached to the upper 2 corners of the firewall. They point aft and nest on the inside of the longerons. The weld joining the 2 flanges of the bracket failed.

Yes, Kyle, I am referring to the 2 upper engine mount brackets that are attached to the upper 2 corners of the firewall. They point aft and nest on the inside of the longerons. The weld joining the 2 flanges of the bracket failed.

On my -6, they were not welded. Are you sure they were welded or did the powder coat break in the seam between the two tabs that mount to the longerons?

Not welded

I had a closer look at the vertex where the 2 flanges meet and you are correct. It was just the powder coating that split. So, am I correct in that the 2 flanges will have a small space between them when they are drilled to the longeron?

I had a closer look at the vertex where the 2 flanges meet and you are correct. It was just the powder coating that split. So, am I correct in that the 2 flanges will have a small space between them when they are drilled to the longeron?

Yes, it allows them to flex slightly for a tight fit against the longeron angle.

I nearly had a heart attack when I "discovered" mine. The Vans guy kinda chuckled, but was very nice. He said it happens often. It is part of the learning process I suppose. Congratulations, build on.

heart attack

Yes, Bill, I was really angry at myself for "breaking the weld". It's nice to have other brains to pick on occasion.

Back