What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Bolts

bret

Well Known Member
With the recent loss of another fellow RVer I am saddened and somewhat concerned. I would invite respectful conversation on the subject and cautious not to speculate. I'm sure I am not the only one wondering what the heck is going on. Did they miss something like the SB related to missing wing attach hardware? I just noticed there is a SB for the 8 that may be missing 12 center section bolts in QB kits :eek: I don't know how many wing separations there are? 3 or 4? but did any of these relate to overloading by Gs or...... I have read somewhere these wings on the 7 and 8 have been tested to 9Gs. Hard to imagine anyone going beyond that? I want to remain respectful to those that are no longer with us because of this issue but maybe this will also save someone who is not aware of these Service Bulletins. Hopefully we can share information to make our playground safer.
Please remove if this post is not inline with forum guidelines.

When I read about this recent incident I also wondered what could have happened. These are the ones that scare me. It sounded like he was a cautious and experienced pilot. Witnesses did not report acrobatics. A well built and maintained plane. A clear VFR day. All of the typical wing separation conditions appear to be absent. Very concerning and alarming. Until we get the final report I think it will all be speculation.

In Flight Breakups

You should read the accident report on the 7 in Atlantic City area a few years ago. IIRC the final report took about 2 years.
The 9G test would be standard protocol for 6G limit, ie, test to 150% of proposed aerobatic G limit.

In Flight Breakups

I probably have posted this before. More than 25 years ago when I was instructing aerobatics in the Pitts S2B I had a trainee from Montana?? who tried to teach himself aerobatics in RV6. He got lost while inverted, did a half loop recovery that finished very close to the ground and near 300 statute indicated. In my opinion the only reason he survived was the constant speed prop. He finally pulled the throttle back to idle and the prop helped keep the speed under some semblance of control.
Guy I knew in Northeast in early days of RV4 did essentially the same thing. He shed some paint around wing rivets but no other damage.
Many probably do not know that in the early days of RV4 Van advocated self taught aerobatics. That changed many years ago.
This would be an excellent time to read or reread Van's outstanding article on aerobatics.

I read this thread today and looked up the SB's for the -7. Then I went to look at my -7 to see where all of the bolts went and to understand about the missing bolts. I then saw a few holes on the forward spar that were empty. I looked thru the instructions and plans and can't find why they are empty. Can anyone tell me what goes in these holes?(quick build BTW)
YO8cDIvh.jpg

Landing gear weldments

On the "A" models, the landing gear weldments for the main gear are bolted to the spar through those holes.

I read this thread today and looked up the SB's for the -7. Then I went to look at my -7 to see where all of the bolts went and to understand about the missing bolts. I then saw a few holes on the forward spar that were empty. I looked thru the instructions and plans and can't find why they are empty. Can anyone tell me what goes in these holes?(quick build BTW)

Those holes are left open for attachment of the gear leg brackets for the RV7A. On the RV7 they are supposed to have bolts in them (NO EMPTY HOLES PERMITTED) but I have seen RV7s without those bolts. People with RVs who don't read the drawings/instructions and omit wing spar/carry-through bolts are living very dangerously indeed.

Last edited:
YO8cDIvh.jpg

I would be very interested in knowing who certificated this aircraft. Was it a DAR or ASI? I can't imagine a DAR missing these open holes.

Never mind. Closer investigation reveals that this aircraft is not completed.

Thanks Capt., I found it on DWG 34. AN4-12 six places.

There are more, at least on my QB - there were 4 more but needed AN3 bolts. I could never found them on any drawing. One of the empty holes I had is filled by a rivet on yours! - -Vans told me "no empty holes" Don't look it up, just put in the proper length and diameter bolts.

YO8cDIvh.jpg

the missing bolts for the SB go in the vertical spacer block on the R.

lYPFldV.jpg

Required for the RV-7

I just found it:
DWG 34 for the RV-7,
3 on top, 3 on bottom :

Drw37_Spar_Bolts.jpg

I'll have to verify on mine if I didn't forget them.
Build safe!

Alain.

Last edited:
Back