- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Back in time a bit, I used to find that making transactions in less than 10k made a difference. I should have tried deposits of $9500,
$9500, and $9000.
For a long time now, the rules have changed in such a way that will no longer work. I no longer subscribe to FINCEN to get the updates, but I know the rules keep being tweaked to catch people trying beat the system.

Tim
Old 08-13-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmdive View Post
And if you can show you are going to "X" to maybe buy "Y" it is a non-issue.
Except when they make it an issue, as is well-documented.

But hey...as long as it only happens to "those" people, and not ME...
Old 08-13-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Back in time a bit, I used to find that making transactions in less than 10k made a difference. I should have tried deposits of $9500, $9500, and $9000.
That's called "structuring," and it's a federal felony.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Default Rinodvr/ rv8

I am ready to list my rv8. Thought I'd wait till it cooled off a bit here in Texas. What are you looking to purchase in an 8? Equipment etc. my cell is 9362459381. I am a 78 yr. old A&P. It is my aircraft.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post

But hey...as long as it only happens to "those" people, and not ME...
I never said anything like that... That is all about you.

I tell the bankers what I am doing is none of their business and to go ahead and file an SAR.
1986 Pitts S1S - Flying
Old 08-13-2017, 09:47 PM

We had a positive experience with a challenging purchase. We were looking for a specific breed of dog (Swedish Elkhound) that can basically only be found in Sweden and Finland. We found a breeder with one available and worked out a deal all via semi-strained English over email. I asked if they needed a deposit and they said "No, the dog is yours."

So we booked flights and lodging for a mini vacation to Finland. When we arrived, I looked up Finish traditions (do they hug when greeting, etc.). I found out that one particular thing of note about the Finns is they are true to their word. This explained why they didn't ask for a deposit.

We arrived at their place the next day, visited for a while, paid them and took our wonderful pup home. Awesome experience!

VAF Donation made: 3/31/2017, My RV-7A Build Log
Old 08-14-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayforge View Post
We had a positive experience with a challenging purchase. We were looking for a specific breed of dog (Swedish Elkhound) that can basically only be found in Sweden and Finland. We found a breeder with one available and worked out a deal all via semi-strained English over email.
OK, I gotta ask the obvious....What is so special about that particular breed that you would fly to Scandinavia to buy a dog?!?

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 AM

Default What a beautiful dog.

Awesome. Years ago one of my best friends widowed mom lived alone with a Norwegian Elkhound; to say he protected her would be putting it lightly. Smartest and most loyal dog I have ever seen. Looked just like your dog.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRviator View Post
OK, I gotta ask the obvious....What is so special about that particular breed that you would fly to Scandinavia to buy a dog?!?
If they promise to never poop in the house, they always keep their word.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:18 AM

LOL!

I always liked the Spitz breeds (Huskies, etc.), but I felt Huskies were a little too independent. Sorta cat like and harder to train. Some are also not very dog friendly. So I looked for a breed that looks like a Husky but had a different personality and settled on the Swedish Elkhound. They're very similar to the Norwegian Elkhound, but taller and slimmer.

Alas, once I have my mind set on something, it's hard to change. You can't find them in the states and we almost didn't manage to get one in Finland. They normally only sell them to hunters. But I finally found a breeder who made an intro to another breeder who had one available.

Our Swedish Elkhound (Rico) ended up being a bit independent anyway. If left off leash, he'll wander away looking for deer. But he's the sweetest dog you'll meet, even though he's un-neutered. I'd trust him to take a piece of hot dog from a toddler's fingers.

We made a mini-vacation out of the trip and saw a bit more of the world. :-)

VAF Donation made: 3/31/2017, My RV-7A Build Log