What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

builders risk insurance

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone know of a builders risk insurance that would cover the kit parts if you transport them yourself (pick them up at the factory)?
Thanks

Insurance

Ask the company that insures your 14.

Project insurance is pretty common. Should cover transport, but you may want to ask about it specifically.

My policy with AIG through Gallagher does cover transportation of the project. It's not very expensive.

Ask the company that insures your 14.

Project insurance is pretty common. Should cover transport, but you may want to ask about it specifically.

I was not able to contact them by phone , but just got a reply from them via e-mail that they do. The reason for asking on here is I called EAA C-Plan Canada ( not whom I an insured with)and the guy said no one covers road transport, I thought he was wrong.

Moving

Jenifer at Gallagher specifically stated that I was covered on my builders risk policy while transporting the airframe on a trailer to the airport for assembly. It was really the only reason I had bought the policy. I only had the policy for a couple of months. I canceled, got a rebate on much of the premium and bought a flight policy. Check with your insurance agent. Make notes of the phone call so you document what they told you, who you talked with, date and time.

Ed Holyoke

Ron - as a fellow Canuck I can assure you that C-PLAN... DID cover my kit parts during shipment. I had about $40K worth of hardware being shipped in from the US, so I was very concerned about the risk during shipment. I received confirmation from the C-PLAN account manager of the day that our parts were covered while in shipment.

NOTE: I did not specifically ask if the parts were covered when I was transporting them myself, however when I transported the partially-built airplane to the airport it WAS covered. Again, something I verified quite specifically.

The Guy I spoke to on the phone asked someone next to him (I could hear)and they said no. Just talked to the wrong person. I'll see what Marsh quotes before I call back and ask for someone else to speak to.
Thanks

Gallagher Insurance...

I just spoke with Leah this afternoon about putting a risk policy on my project, as I am transporting mine in a couple of days about 1000 miles! She assured me that the project would be covered in transport, and her quote was very reasonable for a builder's risk policy! I will be calling them tomorrow and securing a policy. Not sure how that works going into Canada, but I'm sure they can certainly answer questions about that. Very nice people!

Back